PDA

View Full Version : IP Governor Modification

AltitudeDiesel
04-28-2006, 19:30
I recently installed a new injection pump and it has a very low governor speed set in it. The new pump tops out at about 3300 RPM and I'm looking for information on how to raise that speed. I've had the top cover off a DB2 before to adjust the fuel rate since that was easier than going in the side plate and I know how all the parts go back in the top cover to make everything work.

Only think I guess I'm really short is what and how to adjust to increase the speed and is there any general rule of thumb (i.e. 1 turn = 100 rpm) or something that I need to know so I don't totally screw things. On another note, does increasing lift pump pressure fed to the injection pump increase fuel flow? I've heard stories of this but I don't understand how that would be the case since the transfer pump pressurizes whatever fuel enters the pump anyway. I was told that somewhere around 5 psi is acceptable but I wasn't sure as to how much of a difference more or less would make if any.

Thanks

More Power
05-07-2006, 23:05
I haven't messed with the governor setting in a DB2. May take a little experimentation to see what the turn/rpm ratio is....

Since injector POP pressure (opening pressure) is on the order of 1600-1800 psi, I doubt raising lift pump pressure would have much effect on either fuel rates or injection pressure.... It just makes it a little easier for the injection pump to do its thing... :)

Jim

dieseldummy
05-08-2006, 07:51
One turn doesn't go very far, usually you have to go several turns. There are usually shims under the spring, maybe they left yours out on the rebuild? As long as there is some positive pressure at the IP inlet higher lift pump pressure won't do anything. Messing with the transfer pump pressure is also a no-no. Taking it up to high will result in head seizure... Never lower it.

AltitudeDiesel
05-11-2006, 10:42
Thanks for the info guys, dieseldummy, Sterling? I'm up here for College at NJC. I'd love to get in touch with you before leaving Sterling for the summer. I leave tomorrow (The 12th) for home so I'll drop you a PM too, hopefully you get one of these.

I'll take a look at my pump and see if I can figure it out, thanks guys.