PDA

View Full Version : 6.2L glow plug/controller problem

BIOBEV
04-27-2006, 11:28
I just joined and this is my first post. I am sure this won't be the last sounds like a great place for diesel owners. I have a 1988 Suburban R20 6.2L and the glow plug light on the dash stopped working and the truck won't start. I assume it to be the controller, some have said to check the fuse but I do not know which fuse it would be. Yesterday when I went to start it the glow light didn't come on at first, on the second try it came on and then the truck started but when I went to start it later in the day I was back to no glow light and it wouldn't start again and hasn't since. From what I have read it sounds like the controller. I checked with the local diesel shop and they said if it was the controller then the glow plugs had been damaged and they would need replacing also, is this true! My plugs have less than 2000 mi on them. They want 500.00 to replace the controller and plugs, is this a hard fix? Do you need to be mechanically gifted? Any advice is appreciated and needed.
Thanks

DmaxMaverick
04-27-2006, 12:05
Welcome to the Forums!

The controller is easy to replace, and isn't hard to get to. Minimal skill level required. If you can replace spark plugs, glow plugs will be easy, too.

For the controller, you can get them through some Napa stores, or through www.gmpartsdirect.com (http://www.gmpartsdirect.com) . You'll have to email them with a request, but they are pretty good about getting back to you. Prices are usually about 1/2 that of the dealer.

The only reason a controller would kill glow plugs is if the controller stayed on longer. That doesn't sound like your problem. Overglowing with AC9G's (OEM on your truck) fail pretty quick, with some bad side effects. If you still have 9G's installed, it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace them, anyway. JK, www.kennedydiesel.com (http://www.kennedydiesel.com) , sells "Kennedy Quick Heats" for about $10 each. They will heat up as quick, and hotter than the originals, and have proven to be much more reliable, as well as more durable. You could replace them with AC60G's, but they heat up a lot slower and your controller will need modification to extend the glow time. Problem with the original 9G's is when they are overglowed, the tips swell and get stuck in the hole. Removal can be a PITA, and many times requires head removal. I suggest testing all the plugs with an ohm meter or test light. If they have continuity or similar resistance, they should be good.

Robyn
05-11-2006, 18:34
This truck fall into the years that had a glow plug inhibit switch in the right cylinder head. Jumper the leads and forget it. This little gremlin left me having to crawl under the hood on a cold wet night to manually run the relay.
Good luck.
OHHH check this before you buy a set of plugs and other goodies