PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Rotors on 02 C/C 4wd 3500

cowboywildbill
04-25-2006, 06:04
Hi everyone, I put brake pads all the way around on our GMC about six months ago. Not long after that I started getting what feels like rotor pulse and shudder when braking? The pads are all NAPA premium, like OEM. So I just replaced the front rotors with new NAPA premium, they are supposed to be as good or even better than OEM's.Thinking that would solve the problem. It didn't help, I still have the pulse, maybe even worse now. It feels like it is coming from the front. I was told that the new rotors are already pre-turned, and just install them.
I had the front end alligned and new tires about a year ago. I tried rotating the tires also. I even pulled the fuse on the antilock system, no difference.
I checked the front end, and I can't find any play. Truck has 65,000 miles on it. I notice a little wobble in the steering at about 40 mph sometimes. I can't find anything wrong with the tires or wheels. I have new rotors for the rear, I guess I'll put them on. Can the rear rotors cause the pulse also? Any idea's would be appreciated. Thanks.

FJ40INTOW
04-25-2006, 06:41
I have rotors trued new from the box. I offer to pay for the labor if they aren't warped and I havn't had to pay yet. Seems that they turn them in the factory before thay are fully cooled and they warp a little.

cowboywildbill
04-25-2006, 08:03
Thanks for the reply, I used to do that also. The last couple I have done didn't really need turning. If I still have the problem after I do the rear set and re-check tires and wheels and allignment again. Then I guess I'll have them checked / turned on the truck. I can't find any one that can turn them off the truck, because you have to pull the front hub assembly and all to fit on the lathe. They want $225 per set to turn them on the truck at the dealer.

Dawg
04-29-2006, 15:42
How did your brake problem turn out?

Thanks

carco
04-29-2006, 18:46
We get about 100 clams per axle to mill rotors on the vehicle. My old 93 6.5 K2500 were milled on the truck and lasted very smooth for very many miles. All stacked tolerances are corrected by on vehicle milling. We used to mill rotors out of the box befor install, but seldom do now. Use Raybestos rotors seldom have a problem, used to use a "white box" line or branded price line such as some of the national chains use, and milled befor install. bob...........

cowboywildbill
05-01-2006, 11:11
Thanks for the reply's. I finally put the rear set on, The parts place had given me the wrong inner seals. So I had to wait and get the correct ones on Saturday. The brakes are working like new. Very smooth and no pulse Good stopping power. I had a friend get me a set of front and rear US made rotors.
All four cost about $225 total. I adjusted the emergency brake shoes also. I wasn't sure how much play to give On other models I went about 10,000 inch.
I tightend the axel nut tight and backed off one key set space. I hope that is correct. If anyone knows the correct play I would appreciate it Thanks

cowboywildbill
05-08-2006, 12:18
I took some good advice and subscribed to all-data. I re-adjusted the rear wheel bearings to the current specs. In my situation I found out that if using the same bearings and races, that whether I torqued the bearings or not, the adjusting nut went to exactly finger tight to the same key way slot. Not saying it is a good practice, but I guess if you were on the road and had to replace a seal and didn't have a socket and torque wrench, at least you would be in the ball park for the pre load. Thanks for all of the help and replies.