PDA

View Full Version : Crazy speedo

jeep haller
04-24-2006, 18:13
Has anyone ever had there speedomiter (not the odomiter) slow down to 0, even though you have the crews control on 70 and it maintains it for hours that way? I usualy takes about 20 min to get to 0 just a slow reduction. This has happend to me 6-8 times over the last 3 months. Also the 4X4 will not change gears during below freezing temps. Is all it takes is to stop the truck and turn off the key and then restart the engine, it must reset it self, works every time.

Ron

04 2500HD duramax/alison crew cab
loaded

More Power
04-26-2006, 10:35
Because everything works when recycling the ignition, the problem might tend to point to either the ECM or the gauge cluster. The 4WD prob might be related to the speedo prob. I'd work on that one first.

Jim

jeep haller
04-27-2006, 06:13
Thanks, the dealer thought it could be the gauge cluster but he said it was very expensive. Although I am sure its cheeper than the ECM.

whacked
04-29-2006, 11:45
Hi
My truck did the same thing speedo read 60 MPH and i was sitting still. It was the cluster. About 8 months later my volt gauge read about 19 volts and I did all the checks thinking it was the altenator and come to find out it was the cluster again. My truck is a 2004 and it was cover under warranty both times hope this helps.

Whacked

Rhoward225
04-29-2006, 20:54
Mine's been reading 120MPH for probably 70,000 miles! Mine started out like yours, jumping around or slowly going up or down.
After talking w/ tech.'s and parts personnel at local dealer. Determined there has been a problem w/ a bunch of the instrument clusters b/f 2005.
The drive motors/solenoids that control the needles back and forth are where my problems are. New cluster was going to cost like $500.00 bucks or around $400.00 to have mine rebuilt. I got the edge programmer w/ attitude monitor for $600.00, and it will display your MPH. Plus the extra power and MPG are a big plus! From what I have found out, GM has corrected the problem starting early 2005.