PDA

View Full Version : harmonic balancer

FredM
04-20-2006, 20:23
there are 2 items on the worlds biggest, 1 is described as a crank pulley damper, the other a vibration damper. they are not the same going by the photos. i don't follow. http://motors.search.ebay.com/6-2-diesel_Parts-Accessories_W0QQcatrefZC6QQcoactionZcompareQQcoent rypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfclZ3QQfromZR2QQfrtsZ5 0QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ2QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsacatZ6028QQsam cmZ6028QQsatitleZ6Q2e2Q20diesel

moondoggie
04-21-2006, 09:44
Good Day!

The crankshaft harmonic balancer is installed on the end of the crank 1st. It has NO facility for V or serpentine belts.

The pulley is bolted to the front of the crankshaft harmonic balancer. It has V groove(s) or serpentine surface.

Both parts have two metal parts separated by rubber. The harmonic balancer has a thin bead of rubber between the inner & outer parts; the pulley has a really wide (> 1"?) rubber.

The confusion is that lots of folks (parts mfg's, parts outlets, etc) call these two parts all sorts of unclear names. The most common one I've run into is calling the pulley by the harmonic balancer name. I had a devil of a time getting the right parts from NAPA the last time.

Blessings!