PDA

View Full Version : Clunking noise from bed area when i turn left or right.

cowboywildbill
04-19-2006, 07:45
Hi everyone. I have a clunking sometimes double clunking, almost like a popping noise. It only happens when I turn fairly hard to the left or right, and won't clunk again until I turn back the other way past straight ahead again.
I can't find anything loose. I can't duplicate it by jumping up or down. Load doesn't matter. I thought maybe it is the bed flexing? It is annoying as all.
I do have a transfer flow 56 gallon replacement tankand B&W hitch. But they have been there a long time, and the noise has only happened in the last year. I have lubed sprayed checked every thing. Ideal Buick GMC say's it's normal in that year truck and can't be fixed. They said the new one's don't do that. I say yeah right! Any idea's. Thanks

Mark Rinker
04-19-2006, 13:11
I'd say its bed flex. Jump in the back, putting your hands on the floor of the box near the bolts that hold it down. Have someone you trust do the driving. (Drive around the neighborhood, turning from side to side. See how long it takes for someone to call the cops on you. :)

I think that you'll find a loose bolt, egged out box mount hole, or a panel that is popping in and out of shape with the turn.

If you find nothing, jack up the rear of the truck on the frame rails, letting the rear end hang. See if you have any side to side play, or front to rear spring shackle play. Broken shock mounts?

Lastly - could this be a U-Joint, or CV-Joint popping?

cowboywildbill
04-20-2006, 09:34
Thanks, I tried that, but we have a tool box in the bed. It doesn't rest on the bed rails, but I'll take it out and try it again. When I'm in the cab, it sounds like it comes from under the cab, but when riding in the bed it sounds like it is underneath the bed.

DmaxMaverick
04-20-2006, 10:52
Sounds like a wearind/worn out tie rod. Grab ahold of it and move it in every direction. Any movement means it's on the way out, or already past spec. I replaced mine early in the truck's life under warranty, and it's likely due again at 105K. JK sells a support kit for the ends to keep them from wearing out. Bulletproof tierods (website, try a search) has another solution, but big $$.

Cab/bed insulators can also cause this if they are the slightest bit loose or worn. Not very likely with an empty truck, as the frame is very rigid. Drivetrain wind-up in 4 X 4 can also cause it when making turns.

cowboywildbill
04-26-2006, 04:42
Thanks, That might also be what I thought to be my rotor problems also. I will check the tie rod ends and idler arm again. I might have failed to mention that the truck has to be moving to get the clunk, it doesn't do it if it is sitting still and I turn the wheel full Left lock to full Right lock.

SoTxPollock
04-27-2006, 10:07
Might want to check the tool box, maybe something is moving when you turn to the side,---just a thought.

More Power
04-28-2006, 11:31
Exhaust system moving side to side and coming into contact with something else?

Check the bracket that secures the turbo downpipe to the engine.

Jim

cowboywildbill
05-01-2006, 12:25
Thanks, Ill check them

Albee
05-01-2006, 20:40
With the tool box in the bed. I have one also. I developed a noise and I swore it was in the chasis somewhere. Come to find out I had a loose tool in the bottom of the tool box that was moving around at certain times. Got tool out, problem fixed. Nice if all problems were that easy. Good luck to ya.

hamelyak
05-14-2006, 09:51
Check your spring insulators. I've had mine replaced several times. Takes care of my "clunk".

RADAR
05-16-2006, 01:27
Hello, I'm new to this forum and there is sure a lot of interesting reading here.

About the popping noise, I have a 2004 D/A CC SB and I also have the popping noise from time to time. But mine makes the noise some/most of the time when I make RIGHT turns. -- Mine seems to be coming from the "nerf" running boards. I've had them checked, removed and remounted, greased ... etc. The noise will stop for a while, but still comes back. The hardest part of finding the problem on my truck is that the pop is intermitent.

cowboywildbill
05-17-2006, 10:19
Thanks I'll try anything, still can't isolate it.

PLUMMER
05-19-2006, 08:07
I know we are all guessing here, and since we aren't there with you , anything is worth a try. I have a 99 Silverado and had a clunk ONLY when turning right or left. It too was intermitent, until the rear end decided to let go and send the carrier,side gears and spider gears thru the bottom of the axle. I had it to the dealer several times and they couldn't find the cause either. I unfortunately found it when it locked up and fluid drained from the NEW drain hole!!!!!!!! i found that the carrier had a fine crack and would only rub under certain load, like when the limited slip locked in a turn. The lock up then clunked in then back out. Everything drove fine until you made a sharp turn under power.

cowboywildbill
05-19-2006, 16:40
Thanks I'll give that a try. I took the tool box out, but it didn't change. I just put new shocks on it, WOW what a difference in the ride. I also notice it doesn't do the dually hop in the rear like it used to when I hit a pot hole or go over railroad tracks anymore.

frenchcreole
05-24-2006, 20:50
I have a 2003 Duramax and the clunking you are hearing is what mine was and is doing and I think you will fine it to be the rear spring insulators. Have someone at the rear push the truck from side to side, and at the same time place your hand on the leaf spring before the rear wheels and you will see what I am talking about.

torque
05-25-2006, 21:38
Did you check your leaf springs to see if the plastic pads at the ends of the leafs are missing?