PDA

View Full Version : Advice on brakes please...

hiredmanDan
04-17-2006, 18:34
I have a 2002 2500HD Duramax which I rarely drive - it only has 25000 miles on it. A couple years ago I noticed poor braking so I took it into the dealer to see what was the deal since it was still under warranty.
They told me that the rotors were all rusty and it was not covered under warranty. They said that I should have them worked on asap because if I continued to drive with them rusty they would get damaged beyond repair and then I'd be looking at complete replacement of the rotors and pads.
I concluded that 1) the dealer was only trying to make a sale and I could continue to drive with the rusty rotors, and 2) if these GM brakes rusted like that then I wasn't interested in "saving" those inferior rotors. So I drove on.
Now, two years later, the rusted brakes are really terrible so I'm ready to get them replaced with something of good quality that won't rust and will last decades (for the miles I drive).
What would you suggest I consider for rotors and pads?
Is there such a thing as no rust rotors?
Is it smarter to have a GM dealer do it or a repair shop the specializes in brakes? (I live a little more than an hour from Mpls./St. Paul so I have choices)
Any other guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated.
BTW, what would be a fair price I should expect to pay for all four?
Thanks in advance for your responses.

jared D.
04-18-2006, 07:56
I also had rusty rotors on my 02 duramax. I had the rotors turned and my braking performance came back. The dealer told me that I dont drive the truck enough and if I did the rotors wouldnt rust. When these rotors are out of spec. I will buy aftermarket.

BlackMax 2001
04-18-2006, 11:29
I had the same thing happen on my 2001 D/A. I have done the front ones so, far. +/-$300 for the pads and rotors + $100 for the installation. I bought the parts myself at the local NAPA store.

JohnC
04-18-2006, 12:09
Now, two years later, the rusted brakes are really terrible so I'm ready to get them replaced with something of good quality that won't rust and will last decades (for the miles I drive).

In the words of that great philosopher Pogo, "We have met the enemy and he is us."

There are no rust proof disks available. The only way out is more frequent driving.
thge rust builds in from the edges and reduces the swept area of the brake. Once it gets a foothold it's down hill fast from there.

KayCee
04-23-2006, 11:57
I have a 02 2500HD D/A 98,000 km. I was going down a hill on a paved road yesterday and when I applied the brakes I got a serious stuttering and a nasty pull to the left. The pavement I was braking on is a little like washboard and I thought maybe something rattled loose at the wheels. I stopped at the traffic light at the bottom of the hill and when I got going again everything seemed ok. This happened to me about a year ago and seemed to have corrected itself as it hasn't happened again until now. My brakes are supposedly checked regularly at each dealer service and nothing was ever mentioned. I do not pull heavy but I doubt that this is normal and if I ever do there could be major problems. Obviousily I will have this looked at but I hate going to the stealer without knowing something of what may be wrong. Any advice would be appreciated.

I just had a rear disc brake reline as the dealer said I had 10% remaining on the right rear and 35% on the left rear. They said I have 65% on both front.
I'm no mechanic but I questioned why the rear are wearing more than the front. They seem to think this is ok. I think something may be locking up or this is bs. Cost me $432.45 Cdn for the reline before taxes. Thanks

SoTxPollock
04-27-2006, 10:18
You all probably think I'm nuts, but I'll share this with you anyway. Anytime I have bought a new GM vehicle its never been adequately painted. I always spray paint the edge of the rotors with high temp flat black header paint, while rotating them by hand until the entire OD is done, then wipe down the sides with brake cleaner to be sure none of it gets on the pad sweep area. Wala, have had no rust problems. The key is you got to do it right away when you first get the truck, before it gets started. There are so many areas that GM could improve on, but it costs something, and if they can get out of it they will.

Kennedy
04-28-2006, 06:19
Yep, more frequent (and longer trips) driving AND washing. I have a 2003 truck here with 56k? on the clock, and the frame is all rusty, bed crossmembers rusty, and one of the fuel tank clip nuts was rusted in also. This truck sits a lot between uses.

I have a 2002 1500 here with 170k+ (Nebraska truck) and the star washers are still holding the front rotors on. Very little rust anywhere to be found on rotors, or frame. Pads look like 60%+ on the front also. My guess is that with the hwy miles this thing saw these are still original brakes.

I try to make it a point to drive my winter driven vehicles in a rain storm (cupped road preferrable) ASAP in spring. I also frequent the Lazer Wash touchless car washes and get the under flush done numerous times in winter.

Mark Rinker
04-28-2006, 07:30
The '01 LB7 purchased last fall had terrible surface pitting and grooving on the rear rotors, although the thickness was in spec. I complained after the purchase, and the selling dealership replaced the pads only, for free.

30K miles later, the rears look like they were just turned, and there is about 60% pad remaining. I attribute this to all towing miles, lots of heavy braking.

A proportioning valve adjustment to utilize the back brakes better under 'daily driver' conditions would help with the surface corrosion you guys are seeing, IMO.

cowboywildbill
05-11-2006, 07:51
I was under the impression that it is normal for this generation of trucks to wear the rear pads quicker than the fronts. I was told that the ABS computer applies the braking force to the wheels that need it most, and does this by updating impulses hundreds of times per second giving the most stability & stopping power possible. I am more pleased with my brake performance and longevity than any other truck I have ever owned. Now if I could just get as much go for my money(with high fuel prices) as I get stopping power, I would be smiling more