PDA

View Full Version : Help ! IP Gasket

6-2 CHUCKVEE
04-15-2006, 21:54
Why is it so important to replace the IP mounting gasket ? Is it a special material ? None of the parts stores here have them .I am in mid process here and I want this DONE . I work in a machine shop and we have some gasket material here we use it for everything . It is called klingerseal and comes in different thicknesses , can i use this ? Any help is appreciated. -A

john8662
04-15-2006, 22:33
Don't stress!

Go get or order a set of intake manifold gaskets from Felpro, the intake gaskets always come with the pump gasket. I have about 6 of them hanging on the wall because I've changed intakes and done other things besides change the pump to require new intake gaskets.

J

BobND
04-15-2006, 22:38
The gasket is FelPro # 70150.

It's pretty much just a basic gasket, although anything other than the original thickness will advance or retard the timing a bit, as the pump drive gears are helical.

About ANY diesel shop that services Stanadyne will likely have them around.

6-2 CHUCKVEE
04-15-2006, 23:27
well thanks guys . :) I just mic'd the green stuff we use and it is the same so I used it . I have a gasket set and it isnt in it for some reason . I think I read somewhere not use the blue felpro gaskets somewhere is it the heads or the intake ? Can i reuse the intake gaskets , it hasnt been run since they were installed last time when I had my rag snafu . -A

6-2 CHUCKVEE
04-15-2006, 23:49
Also can I omit the CDR somehow ? I really dislike it being in the way and so on ...

6-2 CHUCKVEE
04-27-2006, 19:10
BUMP for my CDR valve question .

BobND
04-27-2006, 20:20
The CDR prevents the engine intake from sucking too hard, and drawing a vacuum in the crankcase, in case of a restricted intake (clogged filter). It begins to close at a very low vacuum level. Oil could be sucked into the intake, causing engine runaway, under unlikely conditions.

I don't think I'd get rid of it, but I'm sure doing so wouldn't cause any problems 99.999% of the time.

On my old 1984 SUB, I replaced the RH valvecover with the later style, where the CDR sits right in the center of the valvecover, and then tee'd it's output to both sides of the 2-plane non-egr manifold.

I'll get a picture or two up in the next day or so.

BobND
04-29-2006, 23:45
Here's the photos.

I took off this mess that used to overhang the alternator:

http://ndtc3500.stellarnet.com/~blweltin/Bob/DieselCDR.jpg

... and replaced it with this:

http://ndtc3500.stellarnet.com/~blweltin/Bob/NewCDR.jpg

... and this:

http://ndtc3500.stellarnet.com/~blweltin/Bob/DieselOilFill.jpg

which has been repaired by brazing a short length of FORD oil filler neck to the old 6.2 neck that was worn where the cap "catches". making the cap loose and leaky.

I don't know if the "tee" and hoses to both sides of the dual-plane intake manifold would have been necessary, but I thought I'd spread the blowby oil around a bit, to both sides of the intake.

6-2 CHUCKVEE
04-30-2006, 15:04
Thank you Bob . That is much more simple than the factory crap .Right now everything is capped off and it kinda "smokes" from the oil fill cap .-A