PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Leak - Suspect Water Pump

cwlehner
04-12-2006, 07:38
My 6.2 overheated the other night, I was also getting a low coolant light. At first I thought I was losing coolant through the top hose because it was wet where it connects to the engine. The next day I notice a small pudlle under the truck. I start it and get under and it is throwing coolant (very small amounts) off of the harmonic balancer. I suspect the water pump is going..

Do these things have weep holes that leak when it is starting to go??

Also any recommended things to do while it is apart or recommended parts source??

Thanks!!

Warren96
04-12-2006, 08:10
That was what my 6.5 was doing before I changed the water pump.It can be hard to see with the fan shroud, and fan still on the engine.I had to take these off to get a good look at the weep hole under the water pump shaft.

ZZ
04-12-2006, 21:26
Yes, the weep hole is on the bottom side of the pump. I went through this last spring. When you get a new or rebuilt pump; you likely won't get a gasket for the back side of the water pump pump. Just use a good silicone gasket sealer or the likes instead of a gasket.

It's not too bad of a job to replace.

More Power
04-13-2006, 21:55
Fel-Pro produces a gasket kit for the front cover that includes gaskets for all joining surfaces... It's not much $

Jim

ZZ
04-14-2006, 08:57
Thanks for the info Jim. I'll keep it in mind if & when mine goes out again.