PDA

View Full Version : Banks Stinger system

piersbc
04-05-2006, 07:41
I talked with John at Banks Power yesterday to get some info on what they had to offer for my "daily driver" truck.

http://www.bankspower.com/System.cfm?appid=AC01&sysid=SC01

He said that our 6.5 TD engines don't need more air because you can't get more fuel in the air into the cylinders...so the only real improvement is to get the exhaust opened up.

So I'm just looking for some feedback from you guys...also how does keeping the smaller crossover exhaust pipe affect the backpressure on that side of the engine....and is there a 3.5" crossover pipe upgrade??

a5150nut
04-05-2006, 10:59
Try a local muffler shop and find an Allied muffler. I was told that is what Banks uses. If you can get 3 1/2 in mandrel bends even better. I had mine done years ago and realy noticed a difference pulling in the mountains. It increades low end torque. There is a mandrel bent crossover pipe available and they also ceramic coat them on the inside. Some even use insulating wrap on the otside to help maintain the heat going to the turbo. Quite a few people even run streight pipes, no muffler. Some forget to put the Cat back in or gut it while the line is open. Depends on use and state regulations.

Hubert
04-05-2006, 13:29
1. Opening up exhaust is one of the best upgrades. Having a mandrel bent down pipe is the key. Any back pressure after the turbo just reduces turbo effeciency. The exit flange of the turbo is 2-3/4". Its hard to fit any bigger than 3" down pipe. After that it should be 3-1/2 or 4" exhaust. It depends on who you ask what is required.

2. The exit of drivers flange is about 2-3/4" and only 4 cylinders flow through the crossover so I think the crossover upgrade is OK but not necessarily required. The ceramic coated crossover might help though because exhaust would have more velocity ie less friction in crossover. Wrapping crossover depends corrosive environment (salt on roads etc). It will also retain some heat in the drivers side head which is bad see below???

3. I don't agree with more air is not helpfull. But you have to read more on compression ratio and charge air cooling. More boost than stock is helpful up to about 12-14 psi. Over 10-12 psi boost intake air temps start to build too much heat and negates any gains. Depending on ambient air temps. You'll also find lots of threads on cool air intake to help with IAT.

4. A little more fuel can be added with more air but the 6.5 has much less potential than the other diesels because its indirect injection. Crude explanation: The precombustion chamber gets too hot and is restrictive to flow fuel and combustion into the cylinder/piston top. The head gets really hot and this heats up coolant. The head & piston will get too hot under load and max fuel & boost and cause meltdown or piston gualling before coolant reaches danger levels this is why an exhaust gas temperature guage is required when adding more fuel/boost. Its also advised for towing heavy or hills.

Bnave95
04-07-2006, 02:38
I talked with John at Banks Power yesterday to get some info on what they had to offer for my "daily driver" truck.

http://www.bankspower.com/System.cfm?appid=AC01&sysid=SC01

He said that our 6.5 TD engines don't need more air because you can't get more fuel in the air into the cylinders...so the only real improvement is to get the exhaust opened up.

So I'm just looking for some feedback from you guys...also how does keeping the smaller crossover exhaust pipe affect the backpressure on that side of the engine....and is there a 3.5" crossover pipe upgrade??
This was my very first system and was also very happy with it. On the down side is there chip is crap. What a difference JK chip made he loned me only at that time money just was'nt there. Hated to have to send it back. Very good power,great shift. Banks chip is weak.

DA BIG ONE
04-07-2006, 04:09
1. Opening up exhaust is one of the best upgrades. Having a mandrel bent down pipe is the key. Any back pressure after the turbo just reduces turbo effeciency. The exit flange of the turbo is 2-3/4". Its hard to fit any bigger than 3" down pipe. After that it should be 3-1/2 or 4" exhaust. It depends on who you ask what is required..

Porting the exhaust turbine housing is another option to squeez more power out of the 6.5td over larger exhaust system.

I've considered using 4" oval (spintec transition pipes) for downpipe to clear tight spots between chassis and motor.

Bnave95
04-07-2006, 04:24
Porting the exhaust turbine housing is another option to squeez more power out of the 6.5td over larger exhaust system.

I've considered using 4" oval (spintec transition pipes) for downpipe to clear tight spots between chassis and motor.
Inlet or oulet. Both.? Is this just to smooth the casting?

DA BIG ONE
04-08-2006, 03:08
Inlet or oulet. Both.? Is this just to smooth the casting?

This would apply to outlet only, being a taper outwards enlarging even the final exit point (at downpipe) depending on material thickness as much as 1/2".

If you have never done this before I'd suggest practice on an old unit first. Smoothing the casting, and enlarge the porting starting at the turbine outlet expanding outwards to exhaust flange.

Bnave95
04-08-2006, 05:15
This would apply to outlet only, being a taper outwards enlarging even the final exit point (at downpipe) depending on material thickness as much as 1/2".

If you have never done this before I'd suggest practice on an old unit first. Smoothing the casting, and enlarge the porting starting at the turbine outlet expanding outwards to exhaust flange.
I take it that you have done this on your's? What can you tell in the power difference?

DA BIG ONE
04-08-2006, 13:36
I take it that you have done this on your's? What can you tell in the power difference?

Well, you may have read my past posts on my problem w/high egt's @ low boost levels "GM-8" (I have larger injectors & maxi torq), then at high boost I had no egt problems but IAT would climb to crazy numbers this is because the exhaust turbine outlet was causing excessive backpressure at upper boost levels superheating everything. Porting reduced backpressure some so I can lay into it a little longer w/o issues. However, a 4" turbo to tailpipe system would cure the rest I'm sure............

andrew8896
04-10-2006, 12:36
I put the Bank's exhaust on mine... the difference was noticed while towing.. but of course I want more power..