PDA

View Full Version : EGR Gauge

Ebrown
04-04-2006, 09:27
I'm started building my 2.5 dual exhaust with a 2.50 cross over pipe. I'm looking for the egr probe and guage the you clamp / strap on the exhaust. I readed about it some where and am no able to find it again!

Next question/!

Has anybody put a fuel cooler on an na 6.2 ? Would it do any good for Performance etc?

john8662
04-04-2006, 11:33
First off, it's not EGR.

EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation

You're referring to EGT = Exhaust Gas Temperature

For installing a pyrometer (EGT gauge) you'll want to install this as closely to the output of the exhaust manifold. So, you'll want the clamp on type thermocouple (EGT probe) to mount to one of the pipes, probably around 4" from the pipe flange, or where ever it's out of the way of the mounting bolts. You can also get the probes with a weld-on bung instead of the clamp on probe.

Haven't thought to use a fuel cooler for these engines, I'm sure that it would not grant any performance enhancement due to the way that the engine takes in air. On a gas engine the cool fuel is mixed with warm air, hence cooling the air and lowering the charge air temp. On the 6.2, the fuel would only be cooler and wouldn't cool the intake charge air. This would also be detremental during winter months of course..

DmaxMaverick
04-04-2006, 12:08
I'm started building my 2.5 dual exhaust with a 2.50 cross over pipe. I'm looking for the egr probe and guage the you clamp / strap on the exhaust. I readed about it some where and am no able to find it again!

Next question/!

Has anybody put a fuel cooler on an na 6.2 ? Would it do any good for Performance etc?

You can get the clamp on thermocouple from several TDP advertisers. Try shopping HERE (http://www.thedieselpage.com/vendors/main.htm).

While a pipe installation is functional, drilling/tapping the exhaust manifold is easy, and the ideal location for the probe. The main reason for a clamp on style probe is for sampling EGT's after a turbo, giving a cumulative sampling of both cylinder banks after a turbo. The temp drop is significant the further you get from the manifold.

Ebrown
04-04-2006, 12:16
Thank for the correction ! It's just a temp use as I would like to see how the 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 comparson!

I was told by a diesel shop around town that the new 6.6 use a fuel Cooler For better performance! I'm not sure this is true but that statement started me think!

HammerWerf
04-05-2006, 17:49
When you but the thermocouple, watch the length of the probe. You'll want the tip to be in the center of the pipe, not touching the pipe. I first bought a fixed length sender, It was touching the pipe, and I got all sorts of strange readings. Purchased an adjustable length probe, put the tip in the center of the pipe, and all the readings since have made sense. I installed the Pyro on my 99 Suburban.

HammerWerf

Ebrown
04-06-2006, 04:59
Thank's for the info!