PDA

View Full Version : Guage needle

William Fullington
12-03-2005, 06:09
just got a set of z-series autometer guages installed. it was gonna be atleast a month before i had time to do it my self so i paid my mechanic to do it for me.

He put the EGT post turbo when i asked for pre, but that was because the kit didnt have the fittings for pre like i asked for. He'll fix that when i get the right fittings. Also need a different fitting for the trans temp, so its not reading anything right now. The boost is working perfectly. One outta 3 aint bad eh?

the EGT works great during the day. at night when i turn my lights on the needle is bouncing all over the place. it bounces around the number its reading while just driving. when i brake it bounces all over the place. when i brake and have blinkers on it bounces all over when blinker is on, and goes to 0 when blinker is off. also goes all over the place when brights are on.

im not that familiar with electrical wiring, but everything is hooked up right on the back when i pull the pillar down and look at it.

mechanic will fix it (if it isnt a bad guage) when i take it back w/ the fittings for pre-turbo EGT and for the trans temp. but i was hoping to fix it my self before that if i can.

any ideas? unfortunately he is closed for the weekend along with autometer.

thanks

sturgeon-phish
12-03-2005, 07:01
Where did he pick up power for the gauge lights?

Clark's diesel
12-03-2005, 08:34
I just installed Auto Meter sport comps in my truck not too long ago. I daisy chained the three guages in the pod together and ran the hot wire to a electrical block just to the left of the brake pedal. I found an old post about it on here. It allows you to dim your guage lights along with your factory dimmer. I don't know if it is a fused block or not but an inline fuse takes care of that. Sounds like you should be checking where he found power for your guages. It is quite possible that you have a defective guage also.