PDA

View Full Version : F*&#('n Engine

snoman87
04-02-2006, 09:14
Well now 7 but of 8 glow plugs are shoot ... probably happened over the last week as cold starts were getting rougher. They where Kennedy Diesel quick heat plugs.

I wonder if a engine with excessive blow-by would cause the plugs to burn out?

What a piss off :(

john8662
04-02-2006, 12:31
Thats terrible luck man!

I'm confident in saying that the plugs didn't fail as a result of excessive blow-by. I can say that because I've got a rig that I drive when everything else is down that has excessive blow-by, and is pretty good on plugs.

I think the AC 60G plugs are going to be the next best alternative.

Replacing the plugs on the passengers side just makes me cringe with the ATS on there... The only way that I could see getting to them is with a wrench, because there is no room get the a socket on it.

But, look on the bright side, your plugs have a 2yr warranty...

snoman87
04-02-2006, 20:06
I am going to contact Kenedy tomorrow to see what I can do ... If I can find my receipt I can confirm. I think they are a little over 1 years old. I think I bought them xmas (2004) but didn't start using them until a few months ago. If I can't get warranty I'll just get 60g's locally.

I took my glow plug extender mod out and installed the 9g's that came from the 6.5TD I got. At least until I can get new plugs. I am not looking forward to the front 3 on the passanger side but because my truck starts fine on 5 plugs I think I will be waiting as long as I can.

DmaxMaverick
04-02-2006, 20:30
Whatever you do, DO NOT put 9G's in. They fail under the best of conditions, and will surely leave your engine rattling if you've been blowing QH's. The 9G's, when they fail, can (and most of the time do), swell on the inside, making removal a real PITA. Sometimes, head removal is the only option, if it hasn't already caused a broken piston and/or valve/seat.

Please. Do yourself a HUGE favor and do not put those in.

84 Convert
04-02-2006, 21:46
I just got my replacement set of quick heat plugs, mine lasted only about six weeks. JK took good cae of me though. I sure hope this is a rare occurrance for his sake.

? for JK: is there anything we can do to insure the life of the quick heat plugs?

Gregg

john8662
04-02-2006, 22:20
9g's are playing with fire.

But, out of everything that I've had that had the 9 g's in them (every 6.2 or 6.5 i have) none of them has swelled, and just a few of them have failed. It's only the replacement (11g) that have failed or QH.

J

snoman87
04-03-2006, 08:31
I know that 9g's are not very good but it's either drive it with them of walk around until payday :)

Kennedy will exchange them on warranty for me :)

john8662
04-03-2006, 10:56
Thats good news.

You should OK with the 9g's and the standard ~7 second glow time.

I'd rather ride that walk myself too!

J

ronniejoe
04-03-2006, 14:17
Advanced injection timing can wreak havoc on glow plugs...

83Blzr62
04-03-2006, 16:59
Advanced injection timing can wreak havoc on glow plugs...

Yeah, this same thing happened to me. My glowplugs went out in like three months and they were brand ne quick heats. I found out my timing was advanced and now I have no problems.

trbankii
04-04-2006, 08:17
Is there a known issue with the QuickHeats? I just replaced the stock glow plugs in my '93 with them, but it really hasn't been cold enough this winter to really give them much of a workout.

snoman87
04-04-2006, 08:32
I don't believe that my timing is advanced but I will check to confirm ... I know that I have to turn the fuel metering screw back a bit

moondoggie
04-04-2006, 09:31
Good Day!

"Advanced injection timing can wreak havoc on glow plugs..." Does this mean setting TDC offset to the magic -1.94 might be wrecking glowplugs? That would sure be valuable information to have.

TIA & Blessings!

DmaxMaverick
04-04-2006, 11:57
I don't believe that my timing is advanced but I will check to confirm ... I know that I have to turn the fuel metering screw back a bit

Unlike gas engines, you can't "lean" a Diesel engine. Engine load and timing determines the F/A ratio.

Unless JK got a bad lot of injectors, there has to be an underlying reason for several of your QH plugs to fail in a short period. The QH's have proven to be substantially more durable than the 9/11G's. If you have to use the dated plugs, use 11's. Although they may fail as often as 9's, they won't (generally) swell, or lose the tip when they fail, like 9's do. 60G's are a good choice, but they require a longer glow time to reach the same heat as the others. I know of several circumstances where combustion temps were ran so high, the EGT and ECT was totally out of control. GP's didn't seem to be effected. If you don't have an EGT gauge, now would be an ideal time to install one. It would sure go a long way to help your troubleshooting process.

snoman87
04-05-2006, 07:50
Unlike gas engines, you can't "lean" a Diesel engine. Engine load and timing determines the F/A ratio.

Unless JK got a bad lot of injectors, there has to be an underlying reason for several of your QH plugs to fail in a short period. The QH's have proven to be substantially more durable than the 9/11G's. If you have to use the dated plugs, use 11's. Although they may fail as often as 9's, they won't (generally) swell, or lose the tip when they fail, like 9's do. 60G's are a good choice, but they require a longer glow time to reach the same heat as the others. I know of several circumstances where combustion temps were ran so high, the EGT and ECT was totally out of control. GP's didn't seem to be effected. If you don't have an EGT gauge, now would be an ideal time to install one. It would sure go a long way to help your troubleshooting process.

JK told me that he suspects a bad batch of QH plugs as he has had calls about them.

My EGT in connected and installed but I have to take the exhaust manifold out and removed the old sensor of tap another hole for the new sensor. It's a real pain to get out ... I might have to remove it to get at the 3 front glow plug on the passanger side so I can do it then.

Probably going to have to go the 60's route because I have to take the QH plugs out and ship them back. I'll put the 60's in and save the new QH for the 6.2/6.5TD I have collected parts for.

JohnC
04-05-2006, 11:24
Does this mean setting TDC offset to the magic -1.94 might be wrecking glowplugs?

I vote "No". I traded my '96 with 135+/- K miles, most of which was run witj TDC offset around -1.70 and it still had the original AC 9 glow plugs (All working!)

(None of this applies to 6.2s, though...)