PDA

View Full Version : tell me if I am right

signgrafix
03-27-2006, 17:58
I have recently purchased a 1996 6.5. Is this correct? On a 94, when you turn the key, you should hear the lift pump under the cab on the frame rail right? I am not. I even started the truck up and crawled underneath of it. Still it does nothing.
So, by this I am assuming that the truck will "run" with out it. What does it do? is it kind of like a "helper" fuel pump to get the fuel to the engine?

diesel65
03-27-2006, 18:30
94-95 fuel pumps only come on when cranking or when the engine is running.

signgrafix
03-27-2006, 19:00
94-95 fuel pumps only come on when cranking or when the engine is running.
Like I said, mine does not even come on when the engins IS running. I guess that would explain the hard starting problems.

16gaSxS
03-27-2006, 19:09
Like I said, mine does not even come on when the engins IS running. I guess that would explain the hard starting problems.

If while engine is running you open the fuel drain and no fuel comes out no lift pump. either lift pump is shot or OPS oil Pressure sensor is dead or fuse or wiring. Check fuse first, the OPS is about $35 and lift pump $50-100 depending on make and where you get it.

signgrafix
03-27-2006, 19:24
If while engine is running you open the fuel drain and no fuel comes out no lift pump. either lift pump is shot or OPS oil Pressure sensor is dead or fuse or wiring. Check fuse first, the OPS is about $35 and lift pump $50-100 depending on make and where you get it.
This might be related to the OPS. I know I am having a problem if I shut off the engine after driving it, then, start it back up, it dies and I have a real hard time starting it again. It will crank, but not start.
Like I said I just got, A lot of bugs to work out. This is my first diesel and I have been reading, reading, and more reading about the 6.5
I really do appreciate everybody's response and assistance!!!!!!!

Kennedy
03-28-2006, 06:38
The present problem is likely the PMD. As first course of action, I'd suggest FSD Cooler pkg.

Now the inoperative lift pump is likely a key contributor as there is less excess fuel flow to keep the pump cool. I'd replace the OPS or consider my lift pump control harness. We keep all of the above items in stock.

rjwest
03-28-2006, 14:29
???????? which truck are you working on ?????

Recent purchase 96 (^ or siggy truck )

Threr is a differance in lift pump control, starting in 96
OBD2....

signgrafix
03-28-2006, 15:07
???????? which truck are you working on ?????

Recent purchase 96 (^ or siggy truck )

Threr is a differance in lift pump control, starting in 96
OBD2....
I only have the one. That is enough bugs to keep me busy for right now. Mine is a 1994 6.5 turbo diesel.