PDA

View Full Version : Best guess on HP & torque before dyno tests?

Steve O.
12-04-2004, 15:53
OK boys, anyone want to take a shot at what they think all my time and money have bought me in terms of horsepower and torque? Massachusetts Dyno Day isn't until January but I have no clue where I should be numbers-wise. Mods are listed in my signature.

Engine is a one year old re-man unit. Everything vital is brand new: IP, lift pump, OPS, etc... Turbo-Master is set for about 12 psi.

Side note: Thanks, as always, to Charlie P. for some fine tuning help today. Also nice to meet Chris (gmc4x4, I think).

Maybe I should make this a pool. Closest guess gets a box of my wife's cookies mailed anywhere in the country... She's baking some as I type and they're on my mind!

Steve O.

JoeyD
12-05-2004, 07:27
I say around 180hp. The lack of intercooler will hurt you but should be in that area. I plan on going so bring the cookie's incase I win.

Turbine Doc
12-05-2004, 10:53
165-170 is my guess from my run results and minimal flow across the IC a LOT will depend how the dyno is set up.

JoeyD
12-05-2004, 11:02
Even with the Max torq chip 165-170?

Turbine Doc
12-05-2004, 11:28
That is the unknown for me I wasn't reflashed when I ran it, but like I said dyno set up will have a lot to do with it, all my mods without reflash, & JK injectors I only laid down 150; found a bad MAP sensor later plus JK said DynoJet isn't best test. I need to re-dyno mine since reflash and HO injectors have been added.

Steve O.
12-05-2004, 11:33
Man,I thought the truck started with 190 hp or so stock... With new everything and the chip, 4" exhaust, and Turbo-Master, I was expecting to hear some more optimistic guesses. Not a miracle, mind you...but I'll be pretty disappointed if I get this thing on the dyno and don't see some legitimate improvements.

Steve O.
12-05-2004, 11:35
And yeah, Joey, I'll bring along a big batch just in case!

Steve

Turbine Doc
12-05-2004, 12:24
Wheel vs at block big difference you lose 50-60 Hp across trans, IIRC the 190 Hp is the block rating

Steve O.
12-05-2004, 13:14
Thanks, I had power at the flywheel on my brain when I read the previous posts. I wasn't comparing apples to apples. My bad.

Steve

Steve O.
12-05-2004, 13:17
While I'm at it, let me ask it this way: What have any of you guys seen who have similar mods, after proper dyno runs?

Steve

JoeyD
12-05-2004, 14:11
My truck has been on a few times and the average was around 165hp stock. I have not been to one since my ecm from Bill H but to be honest without an intercooler I don't think it gained much. The intake temps spike so fast it just cuts back on fuel.

DickWells
12-05-2004, 16:31
I have an interest in this, too. I always felt that I didn't have much before I put in the DB2 marine pump. Now, I'd REALLY like to know what it has. The IC never gave me a noticeable increase in power, but it sure did elliminate any EGT issues when pulling hard.
I too, would have expected more from your
settup. Hope you get a pleasant surprise.
I'll be keeping track of this dyno project. It may give me an idea of what my rig is doing, power wise. Right now, all I have to go on is seat-of-the-pants feel. The mechanical pump gave a good noticeable increase, but at a price. I get slightly better mileage under power, but it can't be left ideling like it used to. Might as well be riding down the road at low speed as to let it idle. But, put your foot in it, when you have to, and it jumps compared to the old days.
I never did any 0-60 runs, before or after. I hate beating on a machine, unless I have to, to get up a mountain, or something. I like to use a light-smooth foot, both on the throtlle and brake. So, I have nothing to go by, except the results that I read in the DP.
Good luck.
Dick Wells

Jim P
12-05-2004, 16:59
I have never had my truck on the dyno but I feel it has pretty good power. I realize that most of you have auto trans. but with my 5 speed I have to be careful to not roast off the tires. When I go from 2nd to 3rd and give it too much throttle, it just lights them up. Does any of your trucks do this? While pulling my 30' fifth wheel camper. I have not found a hill that I could not pull in high gear once I get rolling.

My truck never pulls back on fuel because I have neither the boost sensor nor the intake air temperature mounted in the intake. They are both hooked to the wires but they are just laying on top of the intake. I do have to watch my pyrometer on the hills pulling the camper. It will hit 1250 preturbo if I let it. It also smokes like a freight train until the boost comes up. If I am running about 35mph in high and floor it, it completely fills my 4" stack with smoke until the engine rpms reach about 1800 and the boost gets up to about 15 psi. Just taking off normally, it does not smoke too bad but is does smoke up the side of my camper.

I go to work at 6:00AM and there is one traffic light that everbody kind of drag races at when it turns green. The road turns into 4 lanes just after this light and there is a little grade. I have only found one vehicle that I could not take on this stretch of road. I believe it was a little dodge pickup. It was all decked out with neon lights underneith it. He blew me away but he is the only one. Granted, there are not many race cars out at 6:00 am.

I would love to attend this dyno day but I live in Ohio and it would be a pretty good hall for me, especially with diesel at $2.19 a gallon.

[ 12-05-2004, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: Jim P ]

Turbine Doc
12-05-2004, 17:02
Ronnie's post here has good numbers for all bells & whistles minus 18:1 I'd say my set up would post very similar now, differences chipped vs reflash, and Kennedy vs Heath program; Honey-Dos, work time, and access to accurate local dyno have prevented me from checking again.

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006650

LucasEnglish
12-05-2004, 17:27
I have a 93, AT with mech inj. 3.5in manderl bent down pipe going to strait 4in. Boost is set at 15 psi with water inj no alc. I have my pump turned up a bit. The problem with the dyno is the load is not as high as on the street so I could only build 12psi. The other probem is with out doing someting to the tranny you cant floor it in OD or 3rd till 2k with out it wanting to down shift which makes it hard to get torque right. My truck put down 175hp with 340ftlbs. The torque was my higest as soon as I could get into it with out down shifting. I feel if I could have got into it about 1500rpms my torque would have been higer. These # were on a 1800hp dyno jet.

Spindrift
12-05-2004, 20:07
Lots of variables out there...including dyno operator and the dyno itself. For those that have gone before, there must be some tips that can be provided to the operator to insure the best numbers possible. Just for the heck of it, of course. Please share.

rjschoolcraft
12-06-2004, 03:42
Use a Tech II to command 3rd gear and use a BD Torq-Loc to engage the converter clutch.

Turbine Doc
12-06-2004, 05:49
Originally posted by Jim P:
I have never had my truck on the dyno but I I have to be careful to not roast off the tires. When I go from 2nd to 3rd and give it too much throttle, it just lights them up. Does any of your trucks do this? 1-2 & 2-3 if I don't back off I will spin tires from power launch

Spindrift
12-06-2004, 08:09
RJ,

What I hear you sayin' is that I could have been on the dyno, hearin' my rig screamin' at 3400 rpm, without TCC lock-up?

rjschoolcraft
12-06-2004, 09:07
No, that's not what I said at all.

The question was concerning advice to make the best numbers.

As was posted in the thread that tbogemirep referenced above, Kennedy ran the test as a sweep from about 38 mph (IIRC) to about 78 mph (again, IIRC). Prior to the test sweep, the dyno was commanded to hold speed no matter what the load. The go pedal was mashed to the floor so that the engine was making its maximum effort at the "hold speed" point. After every thing stabilized, John commanded the start of the test and the dyne allowed speed to increase at a pre-determined acceleration rate while data was being collected.

Under normal circumstances, without the Torq-Loc, the converter lock up clutch would engage at about 55 mph and stay locked to the end of the run. This causes a discontinuity in the torque vs. speed relationship... I'm not sure how the Super Flow electronics handle that.

With the Torq-Loc, the 38 mph "hold speed" is above the engagement set point for the converter clutch. John used the Tech II to command third gear and stay in third gear (direct). In this way, there are no range shifts or converter clutch engagements occuring during the test sweep. Consequently, you get a "clean" set of data with no anomalies. John has tested other trucks without the capability to lock the converter manually, but there has to be some massaging of the data, I assume.

According to John, you can command TCC lock up on the Duramax/Allison rigs with the Tech II and this is how he runs the tests. He was pleased that I had the Torq-Loc installed because it allowed him to run the test in the same way that he does on the Duramax/Allison trucks.

JoeyD
12-07-2004, 08:30
Any time I have been on the dyno it was in 4th or OD. Like mentioned the dyno does not load the truck as well as real world does and you can see it from the boost numbers. My truck would not make the same boost on the rollers as it will on the road.

cruzer
12-07-2004, 08:52
I would think you would want to do the runs in drive 1:1 rather than in OD?