PDA

View Full Version : waste gate test?

jwp
03-23-2006, 18:22
:confused: I have a 98 1500 ex cab with a 6.5, it has been running perfect untill today. all of a sudden black soot cloud and no power. I have read a lot about waste gate solinoids? if I wire the waste gate lever in the up position will this rule out a loose flapper on the rod inside????? Cant check vaccum until tomorrow and trying to rule out something.

charliepeterson
03-23-2006, 21:02
You can check this system two easy ways. With the truck off try moving the wastegate rod on the turbo, it should move freely back and forth. Start the truck and do the same test, the rod shouldn't move. Vacuum keeps it shut. On top of the intake, left side rear are three solenoids (heavyduty F engines only have one). The one to the front is the wastegate solenoid. Pull the vacuum hose connector off with the truck running and put your finger over the end.
These solenoids do fail over time with heat. The ECM controlls the ground side action of the solenoid. The plastic lines feeding these solenoids can crack over time as well but are not as common to fail as the solenoid is.
The aftermarket guys have come up with a nice system called the "Turbo Master" which is not vacuum controlled and you can set it your self for specific boost levels.

jwp
03-23-2006, 21:22
Thanks for the info. the rod moves freely, at idle it pulls up tight, I am thinking it is the waste gate solinoid. I was trying to figure out if wireing the waste gate one way or the other would tell me anything?

Bnave95
03-24-2006, 04:14
at idle it pulls up tight, I am thinking it is the waste gate solinoid.

if you can't move the rod at idle, more than likely the solenoid is working. Your black smoke and loss of power says I'm not getting enough air.
Pull the intake boot off of the Turbo,should be able to spin the blades freely.
Check for side to side movement.

jwp
03-24-2006, 16:45
Changed the waste gate solinoid and the boost sensor, now I have no vaccum at the waste gate. I can feel a little vaccum before the waste gate solinoid but I don't have a gauge. Its wierd because I had some at the waste gate yesterday? maybee it is the plastic line getting worse? I am going to try the line. Does anyone know if I can wire the waste gate lever up or down to rule out the flapper inside beeing loose on the shaft? I am also going to pull the line off the turbo and check it. Thanks for the help!!

moondoggie
03-24-2006, 17:49
[font=times][size=+]Good Day!

If you didn't discard your old vacuum gauge (or vacuum/pressure gauge), you can use it here. With the engine idling, there should be > 20 in. vacuum at the inlet to the Wastegate Actuator Solenoid, & ~ 3/4 of that at the Wastegate Actuator.

Pretty easy to test - why guess? ;)

[i]

Bnave95
03-24-2006, 22:43
[QUOTE=moondoggie][font=times][size=+]Good Day!

If you didn't discard your old vacuum gauge (or vacuum/pressure gauge), you can use it here. With the engine idling, there should be > 20 in. vacuum at the inlet to the Wastegate Actuator Solenoid, & ~ 3/4 of that at the Wastegate Actuator.

Pretty easy to test - why guess? ;)

[i]

jwp
03-25-2006, 11:31
No pulsing ground at the yellow wire on the waste gate solinoid? does anyone know were this wire goes it must be broken? Or does it make a connection somewhere? I have good vaccum to the solinoid but none out. If I ground the yellow wire I get the full 25 in. at the wastegate?? Any ideas?

kevin77
03-25-2006, 15:10
The yellow wire is the ground and it goes all the way back to the ecm, which is located behind the glove compartment. The other wire, if I remember right, has a 5 amp fuse and is controlled by the ignition switch.

Kevin

jwp
03-25-2006, 15:16
If I just ground out the yellow wire at the plug I dont get any pulse but I get 25 in of vac at the waste gate? but still clouds of black and no power.

moondoggie
03-25-2006, 16:04
Good Day!

Sounds like you've got more than one problem.

When vacuum is applied to the Wastegate Actuator, does the rod that goes to the turbo pull into the Actuator? I had an Actuator break off inside; it didn't even leak vacuum, it just didn't pull the turbo's wastegate.

If it pulls the rod that actuates the wastegate, I've also heard of the lever arm separating from the actual wastegate: Everything visibly looks right, but the wastegate is doing it's own thing.

Good Luck & Blessings!

(signature in previous post)

jwp
03-25-2006, 16:18
It does pull up the lever at the waste gate. This is when I ground out the yellow wire on the wastegate solinoid with a jumper. I think this gives me full vac 25-30 in at the wastegate.From what I have read and learned from all of the helpfull 6.5 guys on this site I dont think my wiring is testing out right at the wastegate solinoid.
- my orange wire powers up at idle
- my yellow wire also has power at the same time
- if I put my test light on the pos batt and touch the yellow there is no pulseing light?

Any ideas:confused:

markelectric
03-26-2006, 16:33
The pulsing is done so fast that you would need an o-scope to see it. Chech for loose flapper......

jwp
03-26-2006, 20:36
I am going to check the flapper but shouldn't I have vaccum at the wastegate when the truck is idling?

jwp
04-01-2006, 17:03
flapper ok still no vac at the waste gate. There is no vac coming out of the waste gate solinoid? It is new and installed correct, any ideas??

Thanks

BobND
04-02-2006, 00:50
Assuming you have vacuum from the pump to the solenoid, and 12-Volts to the solenoid, either the wiring from the other side of the solenoid to the 'puter is broken, or the 'puter is bad.

jwp
04-02-2006, 09:17
I have vac from the pump to the solinoid, 25 in, and I have 12v to the solinoid, I guess I have to trace some wires, if no brakes I will change the computer. Thanks for the advice!

moondoggie
04-02-2006, 12:54
[font=times][size=+]Good Day!

If I read correctly, a summary would be:
> 25" vacuum at the vacuum pump & at the Actuator Solenoid inlet;
no vacuum at the Actuator;
grounding the drive signal wire on the Solenoid puts full vacuum to the Actuator;
this still results in no boost.
[i]