PDA

View Full Version : %#$@ Turbo! Oil in the intake.

john8662
03-21-2006, 20:55
I guess i already know the answer to this question, but the new to me ATS turbo installed on the 86 is coating the intake with oil, no big puddles, just really oily. The CDR hose is completly dry (no blow-by yet, new engine).

Getting tired of wrenching on it, more on the spending $ on it without the pleasure of driving it.

So the confirmation, has anyone seen one "dry up" or is it an always leaker?

About to rip the whole thing out and go Banks...

dieseldummy
03-21-2006, 21:58
One thing that causes oil loss past the seals in the turbo is a blocked/plugged return line. I'd suggest checking that before condeming the turbo. If the turbo doesn't have alot of play you can have the seals changed for a decent $$ amount as well.

snoman87
03-22-2006, 08:05
That's crappy to hear we both had the same problem with our ATS turbo's. I had my turbo rebuilt. I still have oil in my intake but I think it's blow-by becuase my CDR tube is full of oil still. The guy at the diesel shop didn't like the configuration of the oil return, figured it shouldn't go into the valve cover. My oil return line was pinched ... how about yours?

john8662
03-22-2006, 12:26
My oil return isn't pinched, I took great care to position the hole in the valve cover and the tube going to it so that it wasn't blocked. But, I'll check and see how much of a bend it's got.

The turbo ain't great, and since it's been run for awhile, I can take the compressor blade and tilt it to one side and the turning stops. But I can't feeling the "screeching" of the blade grabbing. I guess it's worn out and needs rebuilt. Funny thing too, because I saw the EXACT turbo sell on ebay for 80 bucks for an ATS (it was just by itself) and I didn't bite. As Carlos Mencia would say "doo daa doo"!

I need to find that blankedy blank that sold me the setup who said "turbo's supposed to have new center section", and well...

Uh huh! Yeah right.. After I cool down I'll give Majestic Turbo a ring and send it to them.

Thanks for the confirmation guys!

90LX
03-26-2006, 00:16
Sorry to hear your troubles, however, misery loves company. Do you know anyone who rebuilds the Banks Sidewinder Turbos? Mine has some play in the bearings and I think the seal blew out. It is sucking oil pretty good. I called Banks and was told $550 to put in a new center section.

Dieselboy
03-26-2006, 12:17
I use Majestic Turbo in Dallas.

http://www.dallasturbo.com/

90LX
03-26-2006, 16:21
Thanks for the Link.

britannic
03-27-2006, 22:58
It's normal for a turbine/compressor without oil pressure to touch the side of housing, when pushed over by hand. However, there shouldn't be any axial (fore and aft) play in the compressor/turbine shaft.

The turbo ain't great, and since it's been run for awhile, I can take the compressor blade and tilt it to one side and the turning stops. But I can't feeling the "screeching" of the blade grabbing. I guess it's worn out and needs rebuilt. Funny thing too, because I saw the EXACT turbo sell on ebay for 80 bucks for an ATS (it was just by itself) and I didn't bite. As Carlos Mencia would say "doo daa doo"!

I need to find that blankedy blank that sold me the setup who said "turbo's supposed to have new center section", and well...

Uh huh! Yeah right.. After I cool down I'll give Majestic Turbo a ring and send it to them.

Thanks for the confirmation guys!

dieseldummy
03-28-2006, 23:11
I think that all of John's problems will be solved by Sat I hope. Well, maybe not all of his problems, but at least this one...

john8662
03-29-2006, 10:01
Thanks Justin!

Well whats happening is that I sent my turbo off to be rebuilt to the quote of $350. Well, I called the technician working on the turbo and was informed that some of the hard parts needed to be replaced. The exhaust wheel was said to have warped blades and some of them were cracked. The technician wanted to know what I'd done to the turbo, and why it looked as bad as it did on the exhaust side. I didn't do it, the turbo hasn't even been on the engine 100 miles, it's used, guess the prev owner really really abused it.

I had inspected the turbo prior to installing it, by removing the compressor housing and cleaning everything, but I couldn't get the exhaust housing apart at that time (you know that rusty iron stuff). But the sideplay wasn't really excessive, and it felt like it would work.

WRONG!

Anyways, the final quote on rebuilding the turbo was ~$500, which I ain't got to spend on the turbo.

So, I'm having them send it back.

I'm getting some spare parts from Justin's stash, a complete center section for the turbo, so I'll be able to fix up the turbo now!

Looks like there's some sunlight peeking through the clouds.

dieseldummy
03-29-2006, 18:15
The center section, shaft, and ect went out today at noon like I hoped it would. Now you just need to find that smaller wastegated exhaust housing...:D

john8662
04-03-2006, 07:33
Change of Plans... The ATS was fun for a little while, it just doesn't like my truck...

I'm in the process of going Banks, turbo situation is the same on that setup too, still trying to get a suitable center section for that too!

Aww, ain't life fun?