PDA

View Full Version : Help trouble shooting stuck engine

Thor
03-21-2006, 16:35
I have a 89 chev 2500 with a 6.2 diesel, I just dropped in a used 6.2 out of a 82 blazer, kepted it a serpentine belt system. I test drove the blazer before pulling the engine and swapping them, ran great. I have maybe put 200 miles on the truck since the engine swap. I started to run rough, miss badly and finally broke down on the side of the rode, tried to restart, motor seems to be stuck. What would be a good way to see if there is major bottom end damage or if it might be something more simple. I was not pulling or rodding the engine when this happened. Any help would be great. Thanks

john8662
03-21-2006, 20:48
The engine is stuck, but only when cranking with the starter or other methods?

Remove either the transmission inspection cover and turn with a long screw driver in between a torque converter bolt. Or you remove the drive belts and damper pulley off the front of the engine and try and turn the engine by using a socket on the harmonic balancer bolt. IF it won't turn it might be something internal in the engine.

As a last ditch effort, you might remove the torque converter bolts and see if the engine turns that way (narrow out the transmission), but this is if you're an auto.

twaddle
03-22-2006, 00:57
Hi there,
If the "stuck engine" has been caused by bearing failure it may show up as metal in the oil filter.
Remove the oil filter and cut it open with a hacksaw, pull out the paper, open it out. If the failure has happened over a period of time there is usually signs of metal. If the failure has been very sudden or recent sometimes there is no signs of metal in the filter.

Is the coolant level ok. Was oil pressure and water temp ok before cutting out?

Hope it's nothing serious.

Jim Twaddle
Biggar, Scotland