PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Spacers in Rear Springs

BigO
03-21-2006, 08:51
I have a 2001 2500. The plastic spacers in the bottom springs keep braking and falling off. I would assume age, but two out of four have been replaced and now they are gone. Does GM have a fix for this issue or is it just my truck?

BigO

DmaxMaverick
03-21-2006, 12:34
GM has no "fix" for this, other than replacing the insulators. This is an old issue, and won't likely go away. The best option is to replace the round insulators with the square block type used on 1500's and Denali/Cadilacs. They seem to stay on much better.

I've had mine replaced under warranty about 4 or 5 times, and they cut off my supply as soon as my warranty ran out. The only time I had trouble with them was when towing heavy. The high spring compression causes them to shear off the plastic stud that holds them in place. Now, I have none on, and chose to ignore the issue. My addition of airbags and Bilstein shocks eliminated the spring slap noise about 95% of the time. Those OEM insulators are about $60 a set at the dealer, and the square blocks are about $80. Gmpartsdirect (http://www.gmpartsdirect.com) has them for about half that, plus S/H. If you manage to keep (or find) the rubber inserts, the plastic part is only half the cost of both pieces.

BigO
03-22-2006, 08:47
Thanks for the reply on the rear spring plastic spacers. You are correct about the heavy loads putting stress on the nipples. It is when I have towed the 5th wheel for long trips is when I notice they disappear.

Last time I was at the dealer I was told to insert rubber rings on the springs. All they looked like to me were exhaust hangers for hanging exhaust systems like on my 1977 450 SL. Do you know anything about these? Based on your reply the spacers are there just to keep the springs from slapping together?

DmaxMaverick
03-22-2006, 15:02
I thought about using the exhaust hangers, as well (I've had a few Mercedes in my time). They should work, and I think I heard of at least one member trying it. I haven't heard any follow-up, so I don't know the result. They are much less expensive than the OEM insulators.

Yes, the insulators are just a noise buffer. Without them, the springs slap when traveling over rough road, RR tracks, etc.

SoTxPollock
03-23-2006, 11:13
Might try spraying some dry glide silicone spray on them before loading down, I haven't broken any yet, also spray the underside of the leaf above. Once that stuff dries its there for awhile.

oyazi
03-23-2006, 16:12
Do a search ~ there was a thread a couple yrs back that had the P/N of the slip over bump pads.

davewald
04-05-2006, 11:33
I had the same problem with the insulators breaking off. The only I have found they do is to reduce the noise of the leaf springs, but it is enough noise to be irritating. The last time I replaced mine, I put some JB Weld between it and the leaf spring, and it hasn't fallen off or broken since, even when pulling my 5'ver or hauling 2500lbs of gravel.