PDA

View Full Version : ABS Sensor Recall?

jspringator
03-20-2006, 16:43
Will this recall affect my 99 Suburban with ABS? http://www.ebearing.com/news2006/012401.htm

MJEasly
03-20-2006, 17:38
I asked the service dept of my local dealer to look into the recall and apply the fix to my truck since the ABS kicks on at low speeds. He said it didn't apply to K2500 Suburbans. Maybe you will have better luck.

CareyWeber
03-21-2006, 07:20
Sounds to me like it should go back alot farther than 1999. :mad:

Perry
03-23-2006, 10:08
I think is recall is only for the current generation models.

But I think the entire braking system should be recalled. I've never owned a car that had such poor brake performance. Even my 50's era drum braked cars perform better. And the ABS is a joke, with my kind of driving, it actually increases braking distances when it kicks in.

I brake a lot on steep hills in the rain, and if one wheel locks because of a patch of wet leaves or such, the ABS starts that grinding/pulsating sound, and my truck speeds up no matter how hard I mash down on the brake. The only way to regain braking is to let up for a quick second and reapply the brake like the old days before ABS.

I'm not sure how the ABS is designed on our trucks, but it seems that when it senses wheelspin, it starts pulsating the entire braking system, so even if the other three wheels have traction, braking power is released to them as well. Shouldn't it be designed so that only the wheel that loses traction gets the braking power reduced and reapplied? While my truck was under warranty, I complained all the time, but each time, the tech said it operated as designed.

My 87 Mercedes diesel wagon has ABS, and that system works. When activated, it seems that it releases only the offending wheel as I actually continue to slow down when it kicks in.

DA BIG ONE
03-24-2006, 04:29
The recall should eventually go to other areas of the country and models because salt is the issue. Anyone who lives near, or operates near or by any salt water body would be effected.

I'm now wondering if my hub changeout under 100k was caused by the same issue?

I remember my local GMC dealer had some 1999 burbs returned in 1999 under the lemon law because of brake issues early on, these were of the old body style.

The hubs on my 1999 burb are the same as many of the newer units, as are my front drive axles which are not listed as 1999 but as 2000+ units I'm guessing because of my upgraded drivetrain options.

JohnC
03-24-2006, 08:43
The recall should eventually go to other areas of the country and models because salt is the issue. Anyone who lives near, or operates near or by any salt water body would be effected.

Maybe so, but even if you guys drive through salt water daily you won't get buildup like this...

http://members.aol.com/gmc65td/salt.jpg

DA BIG ONE
03-25-2006, 04:47
[QUOTE=JohnC]Maybe so, but even if you guys drive through salt water daily you won't get buildup like this...QUOTE]

Is that from the road salts, or?

Kennedy
03-25-2006, 07:23
I asked the service dept of my local dealer to look into the recall and apply the fix to my truck since the ABS kicks on at low speeds. He said it didn't apply to K2500 Suburbans. Maybe you will have better luck.

Pull the sensors, clean the rust from beneath them, smear some dielectric grease on the casting where it seats and you should be fine. Rust typically heaves the sensor and when it heaves far enough it starts to lose signal at low speeds.

JohnC
03-25-2006, 10:21
Is that from the road salts, or?

Yes. actually, a lot has washed off. If you look in the nooks and crannys, sometimes the buildup is 1/2" thick. All vehicles are white around here from December through March.

Scrufdog
03-25-2006, 15:55
Pull the sensors, clean the rust from beneath them, smear some dielectric grease on the casting where it seats and you should be fine. Rust typically heaves the sensor and when it heaves far enough it starts to lose signal at low speeds.

This is what I'm getting ready to do on my 97. The ABS kicks in at low speeds about half the time I brake.

jlavin
04-21-2006, 16:45
I have a 4WD 97 Tahoe with the 6.5 TD. I have a "bump" or "pulse" once just before the truck stops. Changed both front abs sensors today. No change. The service manual refers to a vehicle speed sensor in the trans or transfer case. Anyone ever had to change this. I see three sensors in the transfer case and one in the trans. How do I know which one is for the abs? No service codes or lights on.

Thanks

CareyWeber
04-24-2006, 17:54
I have a 4WD 97 Tahoe with the 6.5 TD. I have a "bump" or "pulse" once just before the truck stops. Changed both front abs sensors today. No change. The service manual refers to a vehicle speed sensor in the trans or transfer case. Anyone ever had to change this. I see three sensors in the transfer case and one in the trans. How do I know which one is for the abs? No service codes or lights on.

Thanks

I the output of the transfer case is the one I'd look at, but I would take it out and clean it first. ;)

All it takes is a 12 or 13 mm wrench (I put die-electric grease on the o-ring before reinstalling it).

Carey