PDA

View Full Version : Brake wear

oneton
03-19-2006, 08:48
Well, yesterday after 111,000 miles on my 02 dually I had to change my front pads. I had a terrible squeal and figured it was time. But to my surprise I still had over 3/4 of pad left. I decided to pull the pads anyway I noticed they had cracked and seemed to be glazed, although not too bad, and the rotors are still in excellent shape. The squeal is now gone as well but I can't help to fell that I could have gone another 50 or 60k out of my old pad if they would have held up. Anybody else have a problem with their pads like this?

Thanks
David

mark45678
03-19-2006, 15:02
OEM brake pads on 2500 hd and 3500 trucks have WAY to hard of compound and like you have noticed the glaze over very fast ! I have owned (3) 2500 hd duramax trucks since 2001 every one of the them I have noticed the brakes loose about 10% of the there grip in the first 2000 mile. My limited back round with modern brake systems has always said ( on paper) brake systems should start off mushy and after the pads bed in (about 50 mile and a few heat cycles) they are at the best they ever will be. On my 2001 truck I did a pad slap with Performance Friction pads at about 40,000 mile , I did this because of the pads being glazed not worn out. Well worth the effort in my opion ! Brake pads should not last 100000 miles , they are a high wear item so why is GM specing out a pad that is so hard you can go over double whats normal? I want a pad that stops my truck hot or cold rain or shine but doesnt need sand paper ever 10,000 ~15,000 mile ! Any of you guy notice how hard you need to push on the brake peddle after your truck gets some miles on it? your brake pads are glazed and you just dont know it !

kerryw
03-20-2006, 18:51
brakes at 60 percent 12000km , no glazing on pads ,no difference from new on braking but many people i know here only gettin 40 000 km out of pads. i tow 15000 lbs fith wheel use tow haul always when towing or icy with no problems.

SoTxPollock
03-23-2006, 11:23
ONETON, thats a lot of miles. I for one am glad GM went with the extra hard compound. He guys, I've glazed mine over from having to panic stop with a load and have found the cure to be driving around on a sunday afternoon with nothing to do and just slightly touching the brake petal every so often and making a real, real slow stop a few times. It seems to work for me.

oneton
03-23-2006, 17:13
ONETON, thats a lot of miles. I for one am glad GM went with the extra hard compound. He guys, I've glazed mine over from having to panic stop with a load and have found the cure to be driving around on a sunday afternoon with nothing to do and just slightly touching the brake petal every so often and making a real, real slow stop a few times. It seems to work for me.

My truck milage is around 80% business use and 20% personal. I own Superior Tile & Marble here in Tampa and do a LOT of driving. A big chunk of miles are from pulling the cars around the country to the various car shows. Not only for me but also for my friends cars too. They all love the dually and fuel milage that it get's when pulling. I keep telling them to go get their own but they all complain they cost too much. LOL

David