PDA

View Full Version : ?

Bnave95
03-18-2006, 03:44
DSG gear drive is better suited for the DS4 pump than the DB2's. The timing stays dead on and does not wonder. I of course vote for the DSG Gear on any GM Diesel's. It's better on the vavle train system,runs smooth,starts are better and power is helped with the build in 3-5 degrees of timing advance, also increase fuel economy.
The rock's sound your talking about, I'm not sure what that means?
You may have a sound,vibration due to the timinig variance produced by the original chain driven set.
Some user's of the gear on the 6.2 have stated they were nosiy and not sure way? DSG is testing that gear. Mine has been noise free now for 90K+ miles.
Pumps should last longer with the smoother run the gear provides.
In 1998 there is a Product Review on the DSG gear by member Scott Boelman.
Most of my coments are taken from that,though being a user myself,it was a good move. At the time of my install I had a new long block installed @60K on the OD and now have 151K. Also a new injection pump @ 45K.
If cost is'nt a issue than I'd go for it.
BTW,all of the Feature Articles and Product Reviews That Jim B. has issued are, to me the Bible of the GM diesel's! My copy's start back in 1997. My join date does not reflect that,forgot to renew once. oopps

Bnave95
03-18-2006, 03:58
Some how my post over took your question,post. Sorry

bowtieluvr
03-18-2006, 05:36
Bnave95,
Thanks for the input, cost is a factor but if the performance was that much better I'd go with the gear.

bowtieluvr
03-18-2006, 10:29
Okay I'm fairly new to posting so if this has been beat to death sorry. I have '85 k3500 GMC w/160k. I feel it is probably time for a timing set but was wondering if the money for the DSG gear set would payoff or should I use the new Napa chain I already have(could probably return as I do have the receipt). I hate the Rocks in a coffee can sound the motor currently makes so if it would get rid of that noise then I would probably spring for the gear set but I do not know if the gears would achieve that. If they will not what will I hate that sound.