PDA

View Full Version : PMD Heat Tranfer Foil - Critical?

ol9465er
03-13-2006, 20:22
I have searched TDP but was unable to get a post.

I replaced my IP (with a new PMD on it of course) about 8 months ago. Since then I have tightened the torx screws a couple of times as they became slightly loose. I just want to ensure good heat transfer to the IP.

Before I replaced my IP though I was running a Sol-D FSD (which I still have as standby) for about a year. In the meantime (prior to replacing the IP) I took the old PMD off the pump to look at it. I found the MOSFET mounting screws were loose in the housing - I don't know whether this was the original reason my PMD was failing as I never tried it again after installing the Sol-D. When I traded-in my IP I had to give the FSD with it.

My question is, since I have had to tighten the torx screws, maybe the MOSFET mounting screws could be loosening also (in the PMD housing). I have been considering taking it off to check, and tighten if necessary, but am concerned about not being able to replace the heat conductive foil.

Any comments or suggestions welcomed...

Thanks

tommac95
03-13-2006, 22:55
The 'foil' {gasket} HeatTransfer pad is cheap, and a sophisticated engineered device.
They're available for like $5delivered, but now i can't find where. J.Kennedy may know....i think a fuel injection shop in Maine sent mine.

Beta did say there would be some value in occassionally retorquing the transister mounting screws, i don't know how often....