PDA

View Full Version : puttin a military engine in a civilian truck, questions

floridaboyzx9r
03-12-2006, 19:40
ok i need to know what all i'm gonna have to change when i move a military 6.2 to my truck. i know about the starter. but what other stuff will i have to change? exhaust manifolds? have seen on here about some kinda relay on the injector pump. anything else? i have a running engine in the truck now but has a knock in it, and a fair amount of blow-by too. the military blazer has the 6.2 as well but with only 35k miles on it. it's been sittin for a long time but the last time it was started it ran great. any help is appreciated. i'm new to the chevy diesels but got this truck for a great price and it's in very very good condition. btw my truck is an 82 the military one is a 86. thanks again.

85-m1028
03-12-2006, 20:24
the blazers only have one 24V component on the engine "the starter" everything else is 12v, I would change out the front and rear main seals, harmonic balancer, maybe put in a set of dsg timing gears. new water pump wouldnt hurt either. I'd run the blazer engine for a bit to see if you get pressure in the cooling system "checking the head gasket" and remeber the miltary blazer came with a turbo 400 so swap the flex plate if you have a 700r4

floridaboyzx9r
03-12-2006, 20:31
trying to get this truck going cheap so will probably put the seals on it but should be ok as far as the timing gears and such. it only has 35k on the engine. will run it again, it has been run around at my dads place, but it was rolled before i got it so never on the street. do you have enough power with this engine? i'm gonna be using it to pull a small trailer and haul wood and such. just a basic around the house work truck. won't be much if any highway towing or anything like that.

85-m1028
03-14-2006, 08:52
I like to think I have plenty of power! but 4.56 gears help alot!! I would at least check the harmonic balancer for a hard and cracked rubber ring, you could snap the crankshaft if its really bad, especialy putting around at low speeds