PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get rebuilding specs for the DB2 pumps?

HANK1948
03-05-2006, 07:32
I looking to rebuild my pump, I was told by a very good diesel tech that its not that difficult to rebuild one, as long as the pump clearences check out its only a matter of replacing seals and bushings. I called on a rebuild kit for a DB2 and they are only 35 bucks! I am a machinist so Iam used to measuring very close tolerences and very confident I can do this as long as It checks out. Has anybody done this as well?.

So Iam looking to get a manual for the pump, Iam sure there is somthing out there.

More Power
03-06-2006, 10:28
Stanadyne considers its rebuild/recal data proprietary, and its authorized service centers tend to follow Standayne's franchise agreements because they know that the emissions specifications for each pump will be assured when the pumps are rebuilt/remanufactured according to specs.

The test & recal equipment used by an authorized Stanadyne shop is very costly, but necessary to rebuild/recalibrate one correctly. The cost of a reman pump includes a portion of the overhead for properly equipping and staffing a certified shop.

This is the explanation I received many years ago soon after TDP began.

Jim

gmctd
03-06-2006, 15:31
The military manuals give complete theory of operation and repair for all the systems and pumps, 6.2 and 6.5.

As long as the transfer pump isn't scored, and the rotor-head clearance is within spec for low-rpm starting, it is just a matter of seals.

As Jim stated, tho, it takes big-bucks equipment to verify the IP meets the spec

BTW - while you're looking, see if you can nab the Hummer 6.5 EFI manual for me!:cool:

HANK1948
03-07-2006, 10:30
Thanks Guys,
I think I found a military manual for the 6.2 on Ebay now that you mention it, I will check it out.

Tatraplan
03-07-2006, 14:42
I got two military manuals via Ebay a while ago. They're
called 9-2815-237-34 and 9-2815-237-34P. They include
part lists and test procedures for different IP:s, but I'm
not sure that they specify any clearances for the parts.

A quick look trough it tells me that it contain detailed step
by step instruction for repairing the IP and in the text there
is some measures to determine wear of internal parts.

/Robert

BobND
03-07-2006, 22:02
You will know the head and rotor are worn, if you have a severe hot starting issue.

Carefully inspect the inside of the cam ring and the plunger rollers and saddles for any signs of chipping (loss of hard surface material), being carefull to keep the plungers, saddles, and rollers in their EXACT original location and orientation, since you will not be calibrating the pump on a test stand, and swapping things around might altern the calibration slightly.

Another area of wear is the advance plunger and bore. Stanadyne thoughtfully located them in the very bottom of the pump, where any debris or metal wear particles will accumulate, and cause the hard chromed steel piston and the aluminum bore to wear. The advance piston and bore can be reamed to an oversize or two, and an oversized advance piston installed, or the pump housing can be replaced with a new one, or a housing that has been bored out, and had a sleeve installed back to standard-size.

Also, the throttle shaft bushings need to be replaced, if badly worn, or the throttle shaft "O" rings will fail before their time.

Inspect the transfer pump's outer ring, and the vanes, which are often replaced when the pump is OH'd.

If the pump still has the old-style governor damper ring, it should be updated to the new-style weight carrier, without the exposed plastic ring that fails and flakes off.

aloharovers
03-08-2006, 01:37
BTW - while you're looking, see if you can nab the Hummer 6.5 EFI manual for me!:cool:

I could be wrong, but I thought the military was sticking with mechanical IPs?

All of our vehicles were 1984 vintage with the 6.2 but I did see a couple that got the 6.5td conversions done in theater and they had the same single wire IP.

Pete