PDA

View Full Version : ALCOA w/Good Year Wrangler MT/R

DA BIG ONE
11-30-2004, 04:10
Just picked up 5 ALCOA 16"x7" and installed Good Year Wrangler MT/R's.

These tires are aggressive, and have whats called DURA WALL puncture resistant sidewall option, any of you use em yet, if so, how do you like em?

RB
11-30-2004, 15:19
Lot's of us run the MT/Rs on our Jeeps, mainly because of the sidewall strength. They'll survive in the rocks when other brands will be cut to shreds.
The only caution I would give you is be careful on wet pavement. :eek:
Otherwise that tire will take you antwhere you want to go.

DA BIG ONE
12-02-2004, 02:15
Originally posted by rb:
Lot's of us run the MT/Rs on our Jeeps, mainly because of the sidewall strength. They'll survive in the rocks when other brands will be cut to shreds.
Otherwise that tire will take you antwhere you want to go. Just how bad are these tires on wet pavement? I do see some sites like the ti__ rak claiming they MT/R are excellent on wet surfaces, but they are in the business of selling tires, not using em, so I ask here for some real world hands on feed back.

RB
12-02-2004, 14:24
Originally posted by DA BIG ONE:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by rb:
Otherwise that tire will take you antwhere you want to go. Just how bad are these tires on wet pavement? I do see some sites like the ti__ rak claiming they MT/R are excellent on wet surfaces, but they are in the business of selling tires, not using em, so I ask here for some real world hands on feed back. </font>[/QUOTE]As compared to other MT type tires I'm sure they are "excellent". Just remember they are more of a offroad tire and not a wet pavement tire. They just require a some adjustment in driving for those conditions. The best description I could give you is they feel squishy on wet pavement.
In my opinion, a AT tire like the BFG AT would be better suited for a truck that spends most of it's time on the street with occasional offroad use. It's hard to pick a "best" tire for every situation you're going to encounter and I think the Wrangler MT is one of the best for it's application, but, being a offroad tire it will wear faster, be louder and behave differently on wet pavement.
BTW... most belive that that MT stands for Mud Terrain.
It actually means Maximum Traction.
Good Luck.

C.K. Piquup
12-04-2004, 04:16
I`m running 12.50/35s on my`91 Suburban.In my opninion,they are the best "all-around" tire available.They match all the features off an All-Terrain with added off-road performance.They feel great on wet roads,like BFG All-terrains.If you look at the treads,they are similar to A/Ts with side lugs of an M/T and agressive sidewall tread.They rated with the best in the mud(Swampers),yet rated with the best on road in a tire comparison by 4Wheel&OffRoad mag.All 4stars in a 5star rating,the only one.Also,they come OEM on Jeep Rubicons,so they better be safe on road or Chrysler`s going to be paying-off some claims.

GaDixie
12-04-2004, 16:05
I have a friend running 33x12.50 MTRs on a 2000 F-150. He's just about the replace them. He does a lot of both off-road and on-road driving. They lasted about 30-35,000 miles. They're pretty good in the mud, but not the best. They're also pretty good on the road, but again, not the best. The thing is they are just so expensive! But, since you already have them, they are real good tires. Personally I have set of 36x12.50x15 Super Swamper TSLs, as well as a set of 35x12.50x15 BFG All-Terrains. Best of all worlds and combined they cost only about $100 more than MTRs!

C.K. Piquup
12-04-2004, 16:56
My MTRs cost the same as my SuperSwamperSSRs & about $100 more than my BFGs for the set.I would never buy from a Goodyear store.