PDA

View Full Version : Tow/haul switch problems

mvn
02-13-2006, 13:03
Truck has been parked for a few days. After returning from my trip, I noticed that I cannot engage tow mode or Overdrive Disable while in normal Drive but if I manually select 3, 2 or 1, the switch functions normally. Does anyone have any ideas what's going on? I have a Juice module (without Attitude) and it's been running great for a few years now.

More Power
02-16-2006, 19:56
A Tech II scan tool can be used to test switch activation...

Jim

mvn
02-17-2006, 06:07
I think I found the problem. The switch does work but only in shift selection position 3,2 and 1. I did a search on this site and someone had a broken wire issue in the steering column. I went out to the truck and while in D with just the slightest downward pressure on the shift lever, low and behold, the tow/haul switch started to function. As soon as I released the pressure on the shift lever, the switch stopped functioning. It must be a broken wire in the harness. I'll open up the steering column and see if that is in fact true. I have some very flexible MIL spec wire that I may have to use.

Tractor
02-17-2006, 20:02
A good buddy of mine just bought 2006 1 ton dually duramax. I,ve drove it quite a bit. But I never did try the tow/haul mode. He has had some trouble with it going into the tow/haul mode. It does appear to be switch related. We took it to the dealer who had it for the day. The shop foreman drove it around and everything worked fine for him. We know that the tranny has to be warmed up a bit for it to work. The truck just turned 1,000 miles on it. As soon as our weather breaks and warms up, we are going to hook up a trailer and pull it down the road to make the truck work. So far his milage is 13.8 miles per gallon. The truck does have a firmer feel to it then his 2002 1 ton dually did.
TRACTOR

RCF
02-18-2006, 07:03
I too thought I was having a engage problem with my tow/haul but found that for it to engage properly the button on the end of the stalk needed to be tapped and not pushed in firmly as I had been doing. Worked for me..........

Tractor
02-18-2006, 16:55
RCF
I will tell him what worked for you. He has not had any trouble with it this week. The next time that I drive It, I will try a few things out. He had good luck with his tow/haul mode on his 2002.
TRACTOR