PDA

View Full Version : bouncing rear end

Schulze
02-09-2006, 21:37
Not my wife

Roy W
02-10-2006, 06:54
I'd be suspicious of an out of round tire.

jbplock
02-10-2006, 08:48
Others have also reported bouncing problems ...

See BOUNCE IS BACK (3 pages) (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=005875)

smile.gif

SoTxPollock
02-10-2006, 10:17
If you've got a good floor jack and stands jack up the rear end, set it on the stands and make sure its steady. Crank it up put it in low gear, be sure its in 2 wheel drive mode, and watch the rear tires rotate. You may have wheels that are mounted not exactly centered, or the tires may be out of round. If you see the wheels wobble fron side to side, which is what I suspect, the wheels weren't centered correctly the last time they were put on.

christo
02-10-2006, 19:38
Had a simular problem with my '05 K2500.
Had the tires balanced 3 times, no better.
Phoned my dealer and he said that the u-joints are seized up and should be changed NOW before the damage the transmisson tail piece.

New u-joints; no vibration.

Christo

Schulze
02-10-2006, 21:29
Thanks for all the input. After reading through pages of posts that Bill listed it and all current inputs it sounds like good shocks have fixed most peoples problems. Probably a worthwhile upgrade even if I didn't have problems. But I guess that is not a for sure fix. I will share what the dealer has to say after I take it this week. I might try the jack up suggestion in order to eliminate or focus on the wheels and tires.

mark45678
02-11-2006, 17:39
RS 9000x shocks or Bilstiens will cure your issues , EVEN brand new trucks the shocks sux! I now own my 3rd Duramax truck EVERY truck I have commented on how bad the shocks are when test driveing the trucks . My 2001 didnt go 500 miles on the OEM shock , that got Rancho RS 9000 shocks in the first week (78000 on the truck). My 2004 LLY truck got the Rancho Take out shocks from my 2001 that had 70000 miles on them at that time ! They where STILL better then the OEM shocks and they got a nother 72000 miles in the 2004 truck! Now if you took the time to add the miles up those RS 9000 shocks they have just about 150000 miles on them :eek: and I wish I had them in my 2006 LBZ truck because this truck needs shock , its like driving a po-go stick! I am going to try a set of Bilstiens this time , but my RS 9000 shocks where GREAT and I would by a set again for sure! smile.gif

Schulze
02-21-2006, 18:56
The visit to the dealer was, as expected, a waste of time. The service department claimed the broblem is caused by off centered wheel or unbalanced tires even though they were balanced and rotated several times. I bought the wheels and tires through the dealer when the truck was new. I think I will just try to eliminate some of the headaches and splurge for the good shocks. Hope that takes care of it. Who knows... maybe I can get the aftermarket guys to help with the cost of the new shocks... ya right!

Kennedy
02-22-2006, 06:51
I'd look hard at the wheels. The whole hub-centric/lug-centric thing. My truck has a bit of a shake in it when I run my Centerline wheels with 285 BFG's. I just ignore it.

Bilsteins are definitely the way to go and I'll actually have them back in stock next week!