PDA

View Full Version : Moved FSD Cooler too late - failed @ 76k

damork
08-04-2004, 05:38
I started using the Beta FSD cooler @76k miles when the 3rd pump/fsd failed on my truck. Pump 4 quit at 105k miles and pump 5 went on at 115k.

I kept the FSD cooler on the intake at 189k miles when I used JK's extension and moved it in front of the drivers side battery because I was starting to see occaisional flashes of the check engine light. Sometimes it would hiccup without a light.

With respect to the electronic pump issues, I've done as much as many have to increase life, followed the bulletins, tightened the FSD transistors, torqued the holdown screws to the FSD, etc.

I sincerely believe the remote mount of the FSD by the battery was a good move but it ultimately failed by starting to stall frequently, sometimes with a code and sometimes with no light at all. At 191k miles on the system, a new PMD / FSD was installed and so far it is running fine.

Other items that I have found to help improve the system life on my truck are:
1. Fuel pump relay between OPS and lift pump
2. Racor water trap/filter before lift pump.
3. Stanadyne blue all the time.
4. 180F thermostats (Underhood temps are lower)
5. Regular checks/polishing of wiring grounds on passenger side head and elsewhere, good battery power, and just keeping wiring connections clean and tight.
6. Fix weak alternators (3 failed Delcos and I switched to something that keeps the voltage more constant - how low does your voltage go when idling with lights on?) Voltage drops, current climbs = heat.
7. Timing gears and hi flow cooling pump/dual thermostats.

I've considered looking at the ignition switch but so far haven't found a clear reason to do so. There have been a few instances where this appears to have resolved some of the issues with power. I personally think these trucks should have more relays between the ignition switch at the devices that have higher loads.

Marty Lau
08-04-2004, 08:54
Damork;
I hate it when that stuff happens! :mad: The flipping FSD/PMD's Your another of us in the progression of move the FSD/PMD to get some life out of. I hope that moving these things in a cooler location will help a bunch. Anyone who is considering a off pump FSD/PMD mounting SKIP the on the intake, engine or firewall set up and go to remote mount in a cooler area. Just suck it up and pay for a good extension so you can mount in a cooler location. Just MNSHO. smile.gif