PDA

View Full Version : Worst programmer warranty

iljusin
02-13-2006, 18:16
I just bought Hypertech programmer and then I found warranty is like this:

Hypertech products are covered by our Limited Lifetime Warranty... This Limited Lifetime Warranty is to the original purchaser for as long as he or she owns the vehicle on which the product is originally installed.

It looks like warranty is only applicable to one (first-original) vehicle. Is this common for other programmers?

More Power
02-13-2006, 22:05
I knew a guy once who bought a JC Penney life-time free replacement maintenance-free auto battery. This was back in the 70's. The Penney store didn't know that this guy was putting it in his early 60's Studebaker, which he never sold, and planned to keep forever. Long story short, after 7 free battery replacements, JC Penney finally told him enough was enough.... So much for the letter of the law (or warranty in this case).

The lesson here is that manufacturers of all stripes offer similar warranties for a wide selection of products. It's good salesmanship, it inspires confidence, but the manufacturers know that a typical owner only keeps the same vehicle for 3-4 years at most. So it's a safe bet for them to offer a "limited lifetime warranty".

You wouldn't see these types of warranties if the manufacturers knew they had to warranty that product into perpetuity, no matter how many times it changed hands.

Just be happy knowing that as long as you need that product, it's covered.... smile.gif Unless you own a Studebaker... :D

Jim

SoTxPollock
02-14-2006, 10:05
Yeah, I went through that with Penneys back then. After two batteries they told me they quit making the lifetime battery and could only replace mine with one that not longer had the lifetime warranty. I sold the car before I ever had a chance to take it back again. According to consumer report look for warranties to get shorter and shorter. Probably has something to do with parts being manufactured in third world coutries, no quality control, don't last as long so they don't want to have to bear the cost of replacement. Let the consumer pay the cost. Same ole Same ole thinking. WTO does not mean quality, just world trade where the rich get richer. Opps Sorry for the rant. What was I thinking???

Kennedy
02-14-2006, 10:52
6 of one, half dozen of another. For comparison, Edge doesn't care who sends it in BUT they have a 2 year warranty term limit.

A lifetime warranty without limits would have people scrounging junktards for stuff like this and sending it in for warranty.

iljusin
02-14-2006, 18:16
I would prefer two years on anything that I own: If I change my truck I loose warranty?..

Showgood1
02-16-2006, 19:12
The after market parts quality is getting steadily worse. My brother bought a fan clutch for the wifes Yukon...2 from auto zoned out 2 from NAPA from the stampings and manufacure markings on them they look like they all came from the same place and none would loosen up. They just stayed engaged. He finaly bit the bullet and got one from a stealership and behold the thing worked. I could give many more examples like this. What worries me is that the factorys are starting to realize this and jacking up the price on parts. I'm not just a real big fan of consumer reports but I wish they would blow the wistle on this growing problem. After all what good is a lifetime warrenty when your stuck on the side of the road.