PDA

View Full Version : gas to diesel conversion

rob1681
02-20-2006, 21:24
does anyone know can you clean the gas out of the tank and keep the tank for the gas truck,can not you the tank off the diesel truck because its a suburban and I'm putting the diesel in a truck

DieselCrawler
02-20-2006, 22:35
That's a good question, one I've been wanting to ask myself. I have a gas truck with the dual tanks, and would like to put the 6.2L from my K-5 Blazer in it, useing the dual tanks already in the truck. Is there any diffrence in the sending units? Will the lines hook up? Mine doesn't have any of the water sensors, just fuel gage, same as the gas tanks...
I have also thought about trying to mount the K-5 fuel tank under the utility bed of the K-30, there's plenty of room under there. It would make a nice second tank, and use the dual tank switching from another junker I've got out back.

Greg

BobND
02-20-2006, 23:19
I ran a 6.2 diesel in a 1974 Dorf 1/2 ton 4 X 4 for a number of years.

It was very content to draw it's fuel from the factory gas tank, with no mods except for a return line, so I see no reason for any problems with a Chevy gas-to-diesel conversion.

And, there's no reson to fuss over a few cupfulls of gas left in the tank (as long as it's clean).

Just fill it up with diesel, and start 'er up.

(When caught with #2 fuel in the tanks in bitter cold weather, I've added more gasoline to the diesel to dissolve wax than I'll admit here, with no ill effects.)

arveetek
02-21-2006, 07:15
You can use the stock gas tanks. The only mod you might want to make is to make the hole larger in the filler neck. The diesel nozzles at most fuel stations are larger than gasoline nozzles.

Casey

snoman87
02-27-2006, 09:20
I drained the take as much as possible and filled it full of diesel with a good dose of fuel stabalizer and have had no problem since

Good Luck.

DmaxMaverick
02-27-2006, 12:31
Having a little gas in the fuel won't hurt one thing. At one time (back when 6.2's were still being built), GM recommended adding up to 10% gasoline to #2 for winter fuel issues. It's even in my '85 owner's manual. I've run my '85 on as much as nearly 50% with no long term effects (accident). My wife ran gas in the Mercedes 300 on MANY ocasions. If it got too much, it just quit running. Too much could cause lubrication issues, but no more than ULSD of late. If the tank has less than 2 gallons in it, don't worry about it in any regard. If more, add some 2 cycle oil to it.

rob1681
03-01-2006, 22:22
the other thing is how i get the trans to lock up the converter?

BobND
03-01-2006, 22:57
I've not followed what tranny you're working with here. Is it a 700-R4 out of a "gasser" that had a vacuum switch that controlled lockup, or was it a 'puter controlled system?

If it was a vacuum switch controlled system, I think you could simply wire the switch on the IP into the circuit where the vacuum switch was on the "gasser".

If it was previously 'puter controlled, a little more thought may be needed, or you could buy a manual lockup kit from one of the hot-rod tranny places.

rob1681
03-01-2006, 22:58
to let you guys know what I'm trying to convert...I have a 1994 chevy 1500 with a 350 burned up i want to put a 6.2L diesel out on a 1991 burbon gmc.please let me know what you guys thing