PDA

View Full Version : no start problem

gmc64sub
02-19-2006, 17:15
Hello,
I'm in need of a little help and advice. I have a freshly transplanted 1985 6.2L J code engine in a 64 Suburban. I am just finishing installing doors and windows after a paint job as well. Still don't have the front windshield in yet, and now I can't get the engine running to drive it to the glass shop.
I have successfully started and run the engine after the transplant with a grand total of nine miles since. Now when I turn it over it might catch briefly then dies and I get clouds of white smoke from the tailpipe.
I've read through the troubleshooting guide on the website and the engine manual and noted a few things. 1. The glow plugs (new just before transplant) draw about 8-9 amps. I think I read they're suppused to draw 14A? 2. After the initial longer cycle, the glow plug control cycles on only for about a half a second, not 1 1/2 seconds. 3. The fast idle solenoid is not strong enough to push down on the throttle lever without a little help. It draws about 1/2A. 4. The HPCA makes a very, very quiet click when I make contact with the terminal but draws.6A, so I'm not sure it's working.
I don't think I have a fuel problem because of the white smoke. I've loosened one injector nut and did see the fuel seeping out.
Lastly, I know the injection timing needs to be set because I had the injection pump and front covers off to check the timing chain slack. I had a compression check before the transplant, and all cylinders were around 400 psi.
Any thoughts on the problem will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Richard in Ukiah

More Power
02-20-2006, 13:27
To eliminate a possible heat factor (i.e. glow plugs, cyl compression, etc.), try plugging in the block heater for 2-3 hours. They try starting. If it starts easily, you have a heat issue.

If plugging in the block heater makes no difference, I'd look for a fueling issue.

Jim

gmc64sub
02-21-2006, 18:25
OK,
I'll try that. Now where did I put that pigtail?

Thanks.

gmc64sub
02-27-2006, 21:18
Thanks, Jim.
The engine started right up with 3 hours of engine block heater. I went right out and bought a new glow plug control from NAPA (Echlin brand). The duration of the cycles were the same as the original control, so I returned it. Now I've ordered 8 of the Kennedy Quick Heat plugs based on info I got in the archives. Can't wait to try them out!