PDA

View Full Version : 700R4 TV Cable adjustment

bmiszuk
02-14-2006, 19:29
I need to adjust my TV cable. It doesn't seem to look like anything in the pictures in the websites I've looked at. There is a button or something on top of the cable but pressing or pulling it doesn't do anything.

Anyone tell me how to adjust this? The tranny is shifting poorly, I want to get it adjusted ASAP. Thanks.

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=showPhoto&albumID=547606264&photoID=2083228470069894744&security=LnvBVF

ZZ
02-14-2006, 20:05
I think on that type cable that you take a flat scredriver and pop the tab up. Then you push the plastic adjuster all the way in and then close the tab. Then you open the throttle fully with the engine off and it pulls the adjuster out to where it is needed.

john8662
02-14-2006, 20:16
Are you sure you have a TH700? The reason I ask is that some trucks have had a TH350 installed in place of the 700, and they both use a cable for the transmission, the difference is the 700 is a TV cable, the 350 uses a "kick down" cable.

The kick down cable that you're showing doesn't look like the correct TV cable. That cable looks similar to what I've seen on junk/TH350 transmissons.

Unless I can't see the whole kickdown adjuster, perhaps it's turned around. If the adjuster you're picturing is round all the way around, then it's the WRONG TV cable.

Go to the dealer and get a new TV cable, they're not that expensive and they seem to work better than the aftermarket TV cables.

J

bmiszuk
02-15-2006, 06:17
I think on that type cable that you take a flat scredriver and pop the tab up... I'll give that a try tonight. Seems easy enough.

Are you sure you have a TH700? Hmm, I'm pretty sure. It's definitely a 4-speed transmission with lockup after it reaches Drive. The TH350 would be 3-speed, right?

Old6.2
02-15-2006, 07:19
Go to www.tvmadeez.com/article/ (http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/) for an excellent write up on the 700r4 - 4L60. Hope this helps!

bmiszuk
02-20-2006, 06:32
Good link, thanks.

John, you were right. The cable from the dealer was $21 and the aftermarket is $20. I got it installed last night. Then I decided to drop the pan and change fluid/filter but didn't get finished.

While the pan is off, are there any adjustments that I should make? Do the bands need to be adjusted (like on some other transmissions)?

There was no big metal in the pan, just some grey film on the bottom.

bmiszuk
02-21-2006, 05:59
Got it all back together and adjusted the new cable. The shifts are normal again.

Thanks for the help.

john8662
02-21-2006, 12:45
Glad to hear that the cable replacement fixed ya up!

So I'm guessing that the new cable looked like what you've seen on the net, and that what you had wasn't the right cable right?

bmiszuk
02-21-2006, 15:51
That's right. The cable from the dealer looked like the ones I see all over the internet (like in the link that Old6.2 posted). The cable I had looked nothing like it, the adjustment didn't work, and it was a lot longer than the dealer cable.

It shifts better than it ever did for me. Before, I had 'dead space' between gears -- rpm's would actually rise a bit as it shifted. And it would hit top gear way too fast and lug the engine. It's much more drivable now.

Now to clean up the tranny fluid that poured all over the garage floor when I pulled the old cable out. None of the websites seemed to mention that part! :eek:

john8662
02-21-2006, 22:51
Now to clean up the tranny fluid that poured all over the garage floor when I pulled the old cable out. None of the websites seemed to mention that part! :eek: Oh yeah... That can sure happen
:rolleyes:

:D