PDA

View Full Version : need a good uncracked head

smcghan
02-09-2006, 20:44
Found I have a cracked head on my 82. So I need a new to me one. I didn't look at the casting dates on the the head but the block is 3/81. So I figure mine is the course thread injectors.
Any body know where to find a replacement?

john8662
02-09-2006, 21:50
Where is the crack?

If the crack is the small crack that appears between the valves, then the head is most likely not leaking. If you've got a crack that starts at an exhaust valve and then entends out from there in a random direction, then it's toast.

I have a couple '82 model heads, they will most likely need work, I think the two I have need to be shaved to be used.

smcghan
02-20-2006, 00:40
John8662
thank you for the reply. the # 7 cylinder has the crack, and ya its between the valves. The machine shop said he wouldn't be comfortable doing a valve job, after he magnafluxed it. I didnt check to see how far the crack was, he said it would probably just continue moving. So the million dollar ?. Are your heads rebuildable? Next can I afford them? You can Email me atsmcghan@msn.com or call me on my cell at 509 539 3236. Thanks again

Steven

olddieselboy
03-01-2006, 23:26
Steven: All chev diesel heads that have cracks between the valves are repairable. Please refer to crack repair posted on "thedieselpage". This is a good fis and prevents further cracking, also improves cooling between valves. Gord