PDA

View Full Version : DB2-4911 & Injectors Whats your opinion?

darkroad
01-30-2006, 13:44
I have a decision to make and would like your input. I bought a motor out of a 1992 USPS van
that was bubbling into the coolant. Got a decent deal on it. It is a 1992 6.2 with factory turbo. Serpentine belt set up and DB2-4911 pump and injectors. All of which I needed . I pulled the injectors, lines and pump out of it over the weekend. I have a 1990 V2500 6.2 na that has 200,000 miles on it and I think its time for injectors and a IP. Did a compression test and got about 400psi on all but one cylinder and got 385 on that one. I am probably going to get the injectors rebuilt but am unsure about the IP as its pretty expensive for that unit. My question is , can they test the pump for output and tell if it needs rebuilding or do they just go ahead and rebuild them? It looks pretty clean to be an original never been rebuilt pump. It didn't have the old style line clamps but did have the newer clip on type. Or would you take a chance and just install it and have the injectors rebuilt? I am also going to install my gear drive and hi output water pump at the same time. The guy I got it off of is a diesel mechanic and only wanted the truck for the body as he put in an isuzu drivetrain. He said that the motor started and ran fine except for the bubbling into the coolant. I am hoping that its just a head gasket as this will become my project engine. But I am going to have to drive my suburban for about another year or so before funds are available for a complete rebuild. I figure that I will have to turn down the pump about 1/4 turn from where it is now as a starting point for my na 6.2. Thanks for any input you can give me.

Darkroad

john8662
01-30-2006, 14:24
You could have the pump tested, but chances are it will cost you quite a bit just to have it run on a stand.

The 4911 pump is a bit more fuel than a n/a 6.2 needs, and I'm not exactly sure turning the fuel down 1/4 turn will be enough, it might even be too much turned down at that point. The 1/4 turn method is mainly a 6.2 pump trick.

If you install a turbo, then the 4911 will shine.

More Power
01-30-2006, 14:26
I'd use the 4911, but would turn it down a bit if running it NA. The 4911 operates at a little higher injection pressure than the 6.2 pumps. So, I'd also install the matching 6.5 injectors. Higher pop pressures should help with atomization, which can help improve starting, power and fuel economy.

Jim

darkroad
01-30-2006, 15:49
Thanks for your response. I do plan on adding a turbo later. I don't really want to use a banks unit. The truck came from New York state and it did have a banks turbo kit on it at one time. But by the time I received it the exhaust was gone and they had run dual 2" pipes and there was a big gaping hole where the turbo had been and they had replaced the banks manifold with a factory one. It couldn't have been gone long as the exhaust looked pretty new. Luckly I still got the filter box and the intake cap and all the turbo hoses. Since then I have picked up a banks exhaust manifold, so mostly it's just deciding on which turbo and fabricating a stainless exhaust and adding a intercooler. I plan on building a custom bumper with rectangular cut outs in the front directing air to aux oil and trans coolers along with screened protection on the fronts. I plan on fabricating up a stainless exhaust complete with crossover pipe but capping off the turbo bolt hole for now. From there I will be using a Dr Lee's manifold adapter ending up with a single 4" exhaust from there on out the back. Spent most of the first summer replacing all the body rot in the rear end areas. But I know it will still rust thru in a couple of years. Thats what I have the 1988 2wd 3/4 suburban for . It has a little surface rust but none underneith the body at all. The original owner only used it to pull his camper and boat in the summer and never in the rain or snow, it just sat in his garage. A friend of mine bought it for $9000 with 30,000 miles on it about 7 years ago but he let it sit outside so it got the dreaded chevy body peel. 70,000 original miles using moble one every 2500 miles. Have a soda blaster stored in the back of it along with 750 lbs of blasting soda to strip the body this summer. Plan on taking it off the frame and building a revolving rack so I can deep clean everything and then rust proof it all and just set it back in the corner of the shop until needed. Most suburbans here in Ky have a lot of body rot so I couldn't pass this one up. Took me a whole year just to get my friend to sell it to me. Still am thinking about just going ahead and getting it all rebuilt as then I will know what I got. I guess it just shocked me a little when I saw how much it was to rebuild that model IP.

Thanks again
Darkroad

CleviteKid
02-02-2006, 09:52
I have a DB2-4911 in my NA 6.5L diesel. It was originally set up at the "low end" of the turbo-diesel specification, but I later turned the screw up another 1/4 turn.

If you have excellent airflow in a 6.2L or 6.5L engine (low restriction intake, cold air from in front of the radiator, port-matched heads and intake and exhaust manifolds, low restriction exhaust) you can get away with a hot -4911 pump.

Dr. Lee :D :cool: :D

doncannon
02-05-2006, 21:46
Hello All,

Darkroad: these guys know what they are talking about, because they told me the 4911 & 6.5 injectors on my 6.2TD Wow now it runs like HELL!! :D GOT TO LOVE THAT POWER!!!!!!

just my 2 cents worth'
also listen to those who have made the mistakes already...you'll save $,
Don

darkroad
02-12-2006, 08:29
Thanks for all the replys. I sent the IP and injectors out to Tim on Wed to get them rebuilt to 6.5 turbo specs and the IP set for my applications. Without all the good people on this site I wouldn't be nearly as informed about my diesel. Again thanks

Darkroad

doncannon
02-14-2006, 23:47
darkroad: would that be tim@cleaninjectors?

arveetek
02-15-2006, 09:30
Originally posted by darkroad:
Thanks for all the replys. I sent the IP and injectors out to Tim on Wed to get them rebuilt to 6.5 turbo specs and the IP set for my applications.

Darkroad Just so you know, Tim doesn't actually rebuild the injectors himself, he gets them from a third party. I did the same thing as you, and he did a great job on my injection pump, but one of the rebuilt 6.5L injectors he supplied started leaking after installation. He did send me another, though. I asked him if he did the actual injector rebuilds, and he told me no.

I trust his IP rebuilds, but from now on, I believe I'll stick with known good injector sources, such as Kennedy Diesel. (http://www.kennedydiesel.com)

Casey

darkroad
02-15-2006, 17:57
Yes Don thats correct.

Darkroad

doncannon
02-21-2006, 20:12
He treated me good! The 4911 and 6.5td inj he sold me run good! When I was shopping he answered my questions, when he sent me the parts it was fast, now I email him with more questions (how much power will it make?) he still replys to all my questions. I really like him and his products...i have not had any trouble with any product (knock on wood).

just my 2 cents,
Don