PDA

View Full Version : Blowing Fuses

radrecon69
11-28-2004, 14:31
Ok fellow Diesel man I have a problem with my Dually 1993 since it has started to get cold my guage fuse is blowing. But when the truck warms up it will stop blowing fuses and all the guages will work and will work as long as it stays warm. I went into Wally world for an hour and came out and it didn't blow a fuse but when I went to my sister for turkey day and I started it first thing in the morning and it blew a fuse (after I drove it for about 10 minutes and then stuck a fuse in it and it quit blowing fuses) and was there for most of the day and BOOM I hit the ignition switch and it blew a fuse I drove it to the gas station bought more fuses and stuck one in it and the guages worked. Got in it today and BOOM it did it again. Can or has anyone had the same problem fuses aren't cheap. Thanks

Rick :mad: :mad: :mad:

BBCB
11-28-2004, 19:15
If you're referring to the 30AMP fuse under the hood - I had a frustration with it blowing on start (actually, energizing the starter solenoid). What it turned out to be is the feed wire looped out past the heat shield, but had enough slack to allow it to lay on the starter's heat shield's upturned lip. :rolleyes:

Needless to say, the lip had worn through the insulation, and on turning the key would immediately short. In the end it was a 45min fix - only due the the fact I did it from my back under the truck in a parking lot. :mad:

BBCB

radrecon69
11-29-2004, 14:12
Ok here is the weird thing if you put the block heater on over night it won't blow the fuse. So now I am really stumped

Rick

panchosteam
11-29-2004, 18:25
Hi, what about a shorted diode on your glow plug relay? or a glow plug wire been melted by heat of some where, could it be? maybe even the relay it self, just an idea.

1984 GMC NOW WITH 6.5 TD AND IN MEXICO DRINKING DIFFERENT DIESEL RUNS BETTER THAN EVER....