PDA

View Full Version : 2nd IP in 3.5 years

BBCB
02-12-2006, 15:15
Thankfully, still under warranty though...

BBCB

jspringator
02-12-2006, 16:43
Mine is on its third pump. Mine tend to last around 100,000 miles. Is this a typical service life? Are pumps installed by reliable mechanics longer lived than those "thrown in" by the dealer?

TurboDiverArt
02-12-2006, 19:14
Just curious. Do you guys use a fuel additive? If so which ones? Not this is necessarily the cause of failure, I'm just curious.

Are you guys using an FSD cooler?

Do you know it's definitely the IP vs. the PMD/FSD?

I'd like to think that the IP would last longer than 100K but who knows.

Art.

jspringator
02-13-2006, 05:26
Additive? Power Service and 2 stroke oil. Still using FSD. My fuel solenoid failed.

BUZZ
02-13-2006, 06:55
symptoms?

16gaSxS
02-13-2006, 11:13
HMMM;
I'm on my second pump, 175,000 miles on this one but on the 3rd PMD/FSD. 45,000 on current FSD on the Heath Issolator. I use Power Service every fuel fill.

jspringator
02-13-2006, 11:19
Buzz; Code while idling, got me home from Cincinnati, including two restarts, but would not start the next day. Towed to shop. No fuel to injectors.

tommac95
02-13-2006, 19:28
What mileage was accumulated by each IP??

Is the fuel filtration adequate??

Do use additives for lubricity??

Has LP been maintained?

DA BIG ONE
02-14-2006, 02:45
Originally posted by James Springate:
Additive? Power Service and 2 stroke oil. Still using FSD. My fuel solenoid failed. I had drivability issues when using synthetic 2 stroke that had blue color, something about some sensor in the IP, stopped using it trouble gone.

BBCB
02-14-2006, 19:27
Truck started stumbling and barely able to remain at idle, let alone allow it to drive to the side of the road. While doing this, it killed mosquitos for a 1 mile radius (I pity the poor souls behind me in the bumper to bumper traffic)

Truck is now at 83K miles (it's a kid hauler rather than a highway vehicle)

As to your questions:
No FSD cooler (I know - don't flame me too hard)

Filter is changed 1x/year and all fuel is purchased from a high volume station. Never seen anything untoward on the filter at change time.

No additives (again, I know....)

LP was replaced last spring (only because it was original, and we were getting ready for a family trip to Orlando).

Ended up taking it to the dealer, and they found the codes - the pump was supposed to arrive today, so hopefully I will get the truck back by Thursday.

tommac95
02-15-2006, 09:50
The 'fogging' (lotsa carbon in exhaust) could well be sign of the FSD transistors locking up in ON position...in death throes.

More Power has reported that western states have more need for lubricity additives....this consistent with fact that both W.Texas and Venezuelan crude are high-sulfur, and the refineries degrade lube properties while lowering sulfur to 'acceptable' levels. So, if the filters are OK, you may benefit from adding some used motor/trans oil, 2-cycle or a proprietary upper- cyl/diesel lubricity additive.

Be cautioned that the FSD and LP share same circuit, and seem to interact by way of a failing FSD 'taking out' the LP as it goes down--so it might pay to keep an eye on LP, or have its' output checked .

BBCB
02-15-2006, 19:32
Thanks, I'll proceed w/ additives going forward.

On another note, the dealer called today, the IP was replaced but when they took it out to test drive, it began to mimic the same issues. Looking further they called to say the fuel tank didn't look right and seemed to have dents/bends in it. Upon dropping it, they said the slosh guard was destroyed and the fuel pickup tube was bent and twisted. Looks like the fuel cap I replaced after all the horror stories here was not done soon enough.

I knew there was going to be a cost (the IP replacement was 100% covered, no deductible).

BBCB