PDA

View Full Version : FSD Transistor Screws Worked For Me!

Cowracer
08-02-2004, 05:00
Late last week, I started getting the dreaded truck dying problem. It got so bad on friday, that I didnt think I would make it home, but thankfully, I did. I figured that I would have to replace the FSD.

But I also figured that I had nothing to loose by trying the "Tighten the Transistor Screws" fix. I removed the FSD (had to take of the intake for that) and sure enough one screw on each transistor was way loose. I backed all 4 screws off and retightend them to 1/4 turn past finger tight, and reinstalled the FSD.

So far, nary a hiccup, and I whipped it extra hard this morning just to see if I could get it to fail.

Whoever the Genius was that came up with that fix, Thanks a Million!

Tim

DennisG01
08-02-2004, 05:22
Awesome! I have an intermittent problem and I'd like to see if it's the screws. Tim, how long did it take to get the FSD out?

Cowracer
08-02-2004, 09:09
Probably 1.5 hours to remove intake, 1/2 hour to remove PMD, 5 terror-filled minutes trying to fish my torx bit out of the #1 intake port :eek:
30 minutes of cleaning parts and probably 1.5 hours to put everything back together.

So, working by myself, with intermittant breaks, total elapsed time was about 5 hours. It is pretty straight-forward. Nothing really gave me fits, except the bottom screws in the FSD.

Helpful Hint! Get a #15 torx head bit, and secure it (tape/weld/epoxy) it to a 1/4" wrench. That was the only way I could get the bottom screws out of the FSD.

Tim

Marty Lau
08-02-2004, 09:16
Tim;
I hope this is longer fix for you than me. Last time I had the PMD/FSD problem I had the Beta cooler on the intake so I tightened the screws and it was good for about 10 days. I think it makes a diffrence how "fried" your transistors are. Mine must have been past the point of no return. I hope you have better luck.

rjwest
08-02-2004, 13:03
I would suggest anytime removing the air intake cover.

Only the wrench required be in close proximity to truck.

The next step is to take large rag and insert into
intake.

When re-installig air intake.

Remove ALL tool/parts from close proximity to truck.

Remove rag, install air intake cover...

ttpost
08-02-2004, 17:18
when pmd goes bad has anyone just replaced the transistors, and if so did it work?

tom.mcinerney
08-03-2004, 17:53
ttp~:
the transistors are encased in epoxy and soldered and bolted in place. Only the screws are accessible to us mortals...so, i think not.

gmctd
08-03-2004, 19:40
CR - I notice you're showing Bosch hi-flow injectors in your sig - where was your source for those parts? You gotta part number, by any chance?

Cowracer
08-04-2004, 04:48
GMCTD-

I got them from Wickliff Diesel. Great people to work with. They probably dont have the same performance gains of JK's Hi-Pops, but at $375 a set, I figured I couldn't go wrong.

I didnt gain much on top, but they really filled in the low and midrange on my truck

Heres A Link (http://dieselhelp.com/gmc-2.html#Injectors)

They are on the bottom of the page.
Tim

gmctd
08-04-2004, 08:19
Thanks - they appear to be rebuilt, requiring a core return.