PDA

View Full Version : Fan Clutch and temps.

Greg Marshall
08-02-2004, 02:09
I would like any info on the cut in temps on an OEM fan clutch and any aftermarket brands that anyone out there might have info on. Also I need to know the relatinship of engine temp. on my guage v/s temp of air going across the fan. I think I have a bad fan clutch and want to make a good choice for a replacement. I pulled my 5000lb trailer yesterday and engine temps got to 220 deg. and I did not ever hear the fan cut in. Did not over heat, cooled off after pull and pushed a little water out, I would guess due to expansion of the coolant and high temps. Thanks in advance for any info forum members can provide. smile.gif

Barry Nave
08-02-2004, 03:20
With my 180* t-stat's and temp get to 220* my fan will ingage though pushing 220* us unusel to see. 1-ton pulling TT @ CGVW 14K.
Get on long grades and head winds will see close to 220*
Your fan should be on though the temp gage on our truck are'nt that reliable.

Kennedy
08-02-2004, 05:51
The OE and Hayden clutch have a cut in spec of 195

Marty Lau
08-02-2004, 09:34
Greg;
Besides the info JK has provided if your raditor is clogged with bugs and weeds ect then you will see higher temps to have the fan cut in because it take higher temps to get the fan clutch heated to it's cut in temps. So clean the raditor and Ac condensor area every year or two. Just a suggestion it help me.

markelectric
08-02-2004, 13:27
My experience tells me that your 94 probably needs the radiator pulled and cleaned inside and out. That was the single biggest improvement to cooling I was able to make. If you have no heat transfer to the air from the water, you will not ever engage the fan clutch.