PDA

View Full Version : which radiator??

williedog
11-26-2004, 14:32
Have just installed new cooling modifications for my 93 6.5 TD but I am not sure what type radiator I should buy to complete the upgrade. Difficult to locate anything but a light duty 2 core radiator. I want the best cooling system I can purchase for the truck as I haul horses and don't like to see overheating problems. Do I need a four core? What do you suggest??

hug
11-26-2004, 19:52
williedog I would recommend the 2 row aluminum radiator found in the later model 6.5 34x19. This will give you better cooling. Alot of people dislike them because of the plastic tanks but a new raditor will last you awhile. I can build you a 6 row copper brass unit if you have some tanks off of a old 4 core raditor. It will be 6 rows of 3/8 tubes on 3/8 centers. Just remember 2 rows of aluminuim with 2 rows of 1 1/4 tubes cools as good as a 5 row cooper brass.

grape
11-26-2004, 22:52
www.crracing.com (http://www.crracing.com) enough said if your serious.

williedog
11-27-2004, 07:49
Hug, thanks for your reply. We have a new 2 row aluminum OEM radiator that I guess we will install if that is all we need. Since we have upgraded all the cooling mods. (HO water pump, dual thermostat x-over, 20 inch steel fan blade) I hope the temps. will go DOWN ! Temps. were read with a Stuart Warner temp gauge that read 240 empty truck/no load. Anything else we should do?

dslpwr
11-27-2004, 09:10
IF you do any towing a EGT gauge is a must.

These 6.5 diesel will hit 1200 degrees real fast if you have stock exhaust and not intercooled.

hug
11-27-2004, 16:30
make sure you install a new fan clutch. Hayden or one
from jk. Make sure everything is clean after the new install ac cond, oil cooler and tranny cooler. I agree with dslpwr install a egt gauge could keep you from meltdown.

williedog
11-27-2004, 19:45
Yes indeedy, a new fan clutch was installed with the rest of the mods. It seems that I will need to install an intercooler as well, and THEN there are the exhaust mods. At this point when my entire financial empire has acheived "melt down" hopefully my truck will run cool. Jeepers Creepers! I've only got 115K on the engine, she's just gotten warmed up as a diesel, but these have been difficult and labor intensive cooling mods. I am beginning to feel pain in my gluteal muscles ;)