PDA

View Full Version : V-belt issues ! ! !

CleviteKid
08-12-2005, 05:02
Hello Dr. Lee,

I found your name on the Diesel Page question and answer forum. I hope you can help me with my engine problem ?

I have a 1985 6.2 diesel engine from the military surplus and I converted the electrical system to 12 volts using only one alternator on the passenger side.

My problem is the alternator belt and the power steering belt constantly need retightening, even the same day after a new one is installed.

Please let me know if I've provided you with enough info to help me solve this problem. Thank You.

Neri B. from Guam

Hello Neri,

I visited Guam a couple of years ago when the big diesel in your island power station blew up. I was working for the Government of Guam to figure out why it blew up, and to help convince the Korean manufacturer to fix it at its expense.

Any new belt will need to be retightened after about 25 miles because of initial stretch. But a good belt will not need to be retightened more than once every six months after that. However, if you let the belt slip even a little, it will continue to slip and wear and you will never get it to work right no matter how many times you tighten it.

I only have occassional problems with my alternator belt, so now I keep that belt EXTRA tight to prevent the initiation of slipping. The bearings in the alternator must be pretty good, because they have put up with high belt loads for about 13 years now, on a cheap rebuilt alternator.

If you are not paying around $10 per belt (or a little more) you are not getting high quality belts. Ones that have worked for me are the Goodyear Gatorback, and the Dayco cog-back belts. I am sure other members will post the belt brands and models that have worked for them.

Dr. Lee :cool:

Peter J. Bierman
08-13-2005, 05:21
In adition to what the doctor told you, you might want to check if the new belts are not below the pulley groove. If they are it means that your pulley is worn.
You can either replace the pulley on the generator or go to a wider belt.

For the powersteering, on the militairy trucks there are supposed to be two belts on the PS pump, only one will couse it to slip when warm.

Peter

Dieselboy
08-13-2005, 17:24
...or one could convert to a serpentine system. :cool:

BigO
09-04-2005, 19:51
One the older vechicles the most common V. Belt is a 15/32 wide belt. Depending on your pulley like they suggested, you could go to a 17 series belt which is 17/32nd wide.

Look at you existing belt, if you see any glazaing or shine on the side of the belt up by the cords then that belt has slipped. A V. belt is only 90-95% efficient when working properly. ANy slippage drops it efficency rate tremendously.