PDA

View Full Version : electric lift pump ???

Dvldog 8793
05-16-2005, 04:59
Howdy Dr Lee....
I have a 1984 Chev 6.2 Van. I have read your article in regards to the electric lift pump install on 6.2 engine vehicles. What is a good base line lift pump psi rating? What are the effects on the mech fuel pump of the constant pressure from the elec pump? Would a fuel pressure regulator help/hinder the system? Anyother noticed improvements or problems that you have seen? My reason for doing this would be to help in starting and other fuel issues.
Thanks for your time!
Conley Janssen
USMC 87-93

CleviteKid
05-19-2005, 14:57
5 to 7 psi is a good target for a lift pump for the 6.2L engine. If your mechanical fuel pump is in good condition, you don't need and electric pump . . . . . but that is a discussion for another day.

The electric fuel pump I used, a replacement for the electric lift pump in the later 6.5LTD diesels, will allow fuel to be pulled thru it if it is unpowered, and the mechanical pumps are not at all disturbed by the electric pump pushing fuel up to it. I would suggest that you turn on your electric pump before you turn the key to start the glow plug sequence, and by the time you bump the starter, you will have pressure all the way up to the high pressure fuel injection pump. After the engine is started, then just turn off the electric pump and run on the mechanical one.

Unless the mechanical pump is dead, and you need to run the electric all the time. Ideally you will replace the mechanical pump at some point in time, but it is a royal pain to do it without removing lots of other components. If you can get the old one out, you may want to put a blocking plate over the hole, and splice the fuel lines together.

Dr. Lee :cool: