PDA

View Full Version : Antifreeze

BigO
05-14-2005, 20:38
I know the pink stuff is good for many miles. When would you recomend changing it. I was informed that it is know to catch more dirt in it then the old green stuff. True or False?

I have 41,000 on a 2001. I was thinking of changing the hoses etc, they look and feel great. When would you suggest changing the hoses? If I were to change the hoses then I will do the liquid also.

Thanks

Barry Nave
05-15-2005, 04:17
I'll change mine when I do the trany. Though I use the green stuff.
What about the new anti-freeze that goes with,mixes with any type of anti-freeze?
Good or bad practice?

CleviteKid
05-15-2005, 07:59
DexCool (the pink-orange stuff) has worked fine in my cooling system for the past 8 years. I use only distilled water (about 79 cents a gallon at the grocery store - not drinking water or spring water, make sure it says distilled on the label) and change half the coolant mix every year.

Pink and green can be mixed, but it works like green and all the pink benefits (less water pump seal wear, longer life) are lost. I would stay away from the "mixes with everything" anti-freeze and pick a color and stick with it.

Dr. Lee :cool:

CareyWeber
05-15-2005, 10:12
Originally posted by BigO:
I have 41,000 on a 2001. I was thinking of changing the hoses etc, they look and feel great. When would you suggest changing the hoses? If I were to change the hoses then I will do the liquid also.

Thanks BigO,

I highly doubt the with 41K miles you are due for hoses.

On my 97 6.5TD (Dexcool from the factory) I didn't need hose replacement thru about 130K miles. I changed out my Dexcool before the recommended 150K mile and I did all the hoses and the block heater then too. I'd be willing to bet that those hoses would have been fine for a good while longer too.

What I'm saying is unless you have a hose that is faulty you no wheres close to needing to swap hoses.

Carey

BigO
05-16-2005, 05:25
Thanks for your Reply.

TJ Moose
05-18-2005, 14:42
My radiator guy - who's been cleaning and building rads for me for about 15 years now - says he'll only use green in his vehicles, and recommended strongly I do the same. I've always followed his lead, and never been led astray. I changed hoses on my '95 6.5 TD 'Burb at 150K miles (general summer maintenance last year), even though they didn't look bad, and fluid's been changed every 2 years. However - last go 'round, I did pull radiator and found it was about 40% clogged inside, and covered 50% outside with mat of dead bugs, grass, bird feathers, etc. Was able to have it rodded out and saved inside, and cleaned off outside - and it works SO MUCH better! Other things I did at recommendation of radiator guy was to use specifically "Kool It" water wetter type product - to knock out electrolysis action, and go to a 13 lb cap to go easier on the pump. Just what's been working for me....

CleviteKid
05-19-2005, 15:05
Having almost been stranded in Idaho with a heater hose problem, I now change all the hoses every four years.

I also change all the V-belts (Grandpa, what is a V-belt?) every four years, except for the alternator belt. That is every two years, unless it squeals even once. If you hear it, it is glazed and will NEVER work correctly again, so throw it away and put on a new one. The alternator and water pump bearings are very strong, so keep that belt very tight for the longest possible life.

Dr. Lee :cool: