PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 Unknown Problems

DieselM1009
09-25-2005, 13:16
I have an 84 M1009 CUCV drove it for about 2 miles and it started to run rough. I pulled over and shut the truck down, and did a visual inspection. Saw nothing unusual, but the truck would not start up. When I turned the key the glow-plug did not come on but I still waited a minute then turned the key, nothing. Did not even try to turn over. Towed it to the shop and tested the batteries they were fine under load. By this time the engine was cool but when you attempted to turn it on the glow-plug lights still did not come on. After further inspection I noticed the starter solenoid was cooked. I replaced the starter with one from Napa, it was defective (had a flat spot) but turned the engine over. I also changed the oil and filter just to make sure no fragments were in there, nothing. Still no glow plug light but the engine started but ran very rough, I need to do some more trouble shooting. Any ideas

Peter J. Bierman
09-26-2005, 12:25
Bad fuel and bad connections?

Bad fuel makes the engine run rough, bad connections can do the same.
The CUCV have a semi 24V electrical system.
On the firewall pass.side are two conector strips, one is 24V the other 12.
Check those conections, had something like that, fixed some problems.
Glow system is 24V with a big resistorbank the bring it down to 12V ( firewall in the midlle )
Might be burned out?

Check your fuel filter anyway!

Good luck, Peter

CleviteKid
09-26-2005, 12:27
Look in the Online Troubleshooting Guide in the Members Section, at:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/guide.htm

There are chapters on the various versions of the glow plug systems.

Dr. Lee :cool:

DieselM1009
09-26-2005, 14:27
Thanks to all, I will get working on this and let you know.