PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic brake booster source

Dr. Jalkal
09-23-2005, 08:41
Apparently, I have a hydraulic brake booster with a leak. How difficult is it to change/bleed one of these and where can I find a reliable reman. one? I called a junk yard who was going to order one from 'Pryor'?
THanks,

CleviteKid
09-23-2005, 15:44
About 9 years ago I had a leak from my hydraulic booster - must have put about a quart of power steering fluid down the inside of my firewall and into the padding under the carpet.

I started adding a "stop leak" type of fluid to the power steering reservoir, and within a month or so, the level stopped going down. It has been holding for the last 9 years.

Turbo and Tough Guy changed one, and they said getting the last fasteners off was a real bear, TG was standing on his head under the dash to finish it. I would try the "stop leak" first. If your leak is minor enough, it might work.

Dr. Lee :cool:

JeepSJ
09-24-2005, 21:42
Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak works wonders. Keep an eye on Ebay - new ones show up on there from time to time. There were a couple on there last week. I found mine there, brand new, and snagged it for just over $100.

HammerWerf
10-03-2005, 11:27
I replaced the one on my 83. There had been a small leak, and when I used Vavoline Syn-XXX power stearing fluid, it must have cleaned out what ever was keeping the fluid in.
Detail job. Hardest parts were the inside nuts (4 in the engine compartment, 2 under the dash) and the clip holding the rod connecting the pedal to the Master Cyl. Extracting the spring and holder proved interesting since there were no instructions on how to do it. My 8 yr old boy was a big help on this job, he did the majority of the wrenching on this job. Did excellent work, I only had to check that it was properly finished. Don't remember the name on the box, but I think it was CarDone.

HammerWerf