PDA

View Full Version : something to be said about oil....

Dvldog 8793
07-30-2004, 14:44
Howdy
I just pulled the motor out my 1999 chev 1ton. I used this truck for many different purposes. From pulling HEAVY loads to family trips. It also spent allot of time idling. It had 140,000 miles on it.
I have probably pulled and rebuilt 2 dozen gassers and had extensive experience with 6.2 in the Marines. I am a hard-nose for oil changes and keeping everthing up on maintenance.
When I opened up this engine the factory cross-hatch was still VERY clear and there was NO ridge on the cylinders. The bearings were in very good shape and the cam had little/no wear. I was amazed at how new the motor looked, with the exception of the jelled oil/antifreeze gooped all over! :mad: And the big crack in the block...
I don't know if oil brand makes a difference but I am sure that changing every 2500-2800 miles DOES. Just for the record I've always used regular old Delvac1300 w/ Wix filters. I think I may have tried Synthetic a couple times but that's it.
This is just my 2cents!
L8r
Conley

Kennedy
07-30-2004, 17:01
Pretty common to see good bores, along with cracks. The blocks cut nice chips much like a Bowtie block and unlike the Chevy gas blocks that make dust...