PDA

View Full Version : Gooseneck ball mounting ??????

William Lee Gingerich
05-06-2005, 04:59
I am looking to by a crew cab shortbed duramax allison and was wondering how important it is to have the ball centered over the axle. We have a 36 ft. car hauler type trailer and you have to have at least 49in. of clearence between the center of the ball and the back of the cab in order to not hit the truck on 90 degree turns. In order to avoid this on the shortbed it would be approx. 6 to 7 in. behind the center of the axle . On a bumper hitch trailer the weight is way behind the axle. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Craig M
05-06-2005, 07:59
A typical gooseneck or 5th wheel trailer will have a lot larger load than a bumper pull trailer. By installing the connection over the axle, or preferably a bit toward the front of the truck, you actually put some of the load onto the front axle. Connecting the trailer behind the rear axle will reduce the load on the front axle. Depending on how heavy you load your trailer this may or may not be a big deal.

Jim Brzozowski
05-06-2005, 08:29
I have a cc/sb with B&W gn hitch and have no problem with making real tight turns, I've never actually checked to see what degree of turn I can make. It a 24 ft Big Tex Flat Bed with 6" dovetails at the back. Your car hauler must be pretty wide. The ones used down here all extend up where it would clear the cab of the truck. I wouldn't recommend the actual ball installation be anywhere but in front of the rear axle. I seem to remember someone selling an extender hitch to hook to the ball and then extends backward to hook the trailer, but I don't know who sells it.

William Lee Gingerich
05-06-2005, 12:22
Thanks for your help. I did have the unpleasant experience soon after we purchased the truck and trailer of taking the back glass out with the corner of the trailer in a real turn thru a dip. I will try and do a search on hitch extenders.

Reggie Turnage
05-07-2005, 10:07
I belive B&W has an entender. They have a picture on thier web sit.