PDA

View Full Version : Tire Guidance

vagabondjpm
05-01-2005, 15:09
I just went to check the tire pressure on my tire before a long trip and found I 50 Front / 80 Rear recommended for my truck (I

tanker
05-02-2005, 01:22
I'd spend the money and get a good set of tires rated for your vehicle. If you go with the 265's you should, (but don't have to) get the wider rim for the 265's. Rims are also rated for weight, note; thatthe 3500 series trucks only come with steel wheels. You may be able to pick up a set or 245's that someone took off their new 05 truck real cheap, and they would give you the rating you need to tow. Don't take short cuts on safety. smile.gif

Craig M
05-02-2005, 13:48
Your problem is the load range of the tires, not the size. You currently probably have load range "C" tires, not the load range "E" that they come with. Most pickups rarely see much overload or extra weight on the front tires. You might consider replacing the two rear tires with load range "E" tires and keep the "C"'s on the front. Save the two rear "C" tires and use them up front when the current 2 wear out also. I did this with my dually, have 60 psi max tires on front and 80 psi tires on the rear.

DA BIG ONE
05-03-2005, 02:13
Silent Armor is the way to go they can be had in the load range you need.

Another less known is the KELLY CSR which will give great service but not M/S rated.

AT tires are about the most aggressive for everyday use.

MT (max trax/not mud)tires while rated for highway, have low speed ratings and could be damaged going past that rating.

Another consideration; If your vehicle weighs 5,000+ be advised many insurance companies are now denying claims that are attributed to underrated tires.

moondoggie
05-03-2005, 08:16
Good Day!

Your tires almost sound like they might be load range B+ (or whatever it's called). Load range B tires for cars generally are rated for 35 PSI max; some B's are rated for 42 PSI or so (what I call B+); C's are usually 50 PSI, at least the ones I've seen. The C's on my 82 have "LT" in the size, so are rated for 50 PSI max, & can actually be inflated to 60 PSI* if the wheels are rated this high.

I

Craig M
05-04-2005, 14:09
Moondoggie I think you are correct. The 35 psi tires are load range "B" not "C". I was going by memory not looking at a chart.

vagabondjpm
05-04-2005, 14:40
Thanks for everyone

moondoggie
05-05-2005, 02:31
Good Day!

Great - now that we talked you out of using these tires, can I buy them real cheap? ;) Just kidding!!!!! :D

I'm glad you accept what those of us that responded offered as advice, without thinking anyone was trying to tell you what to do. Mostly, we don't do that here, we just like to help folks out by letting them know what we've experienced & maybe know something about.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, # 5044

TJ Moose
05-10-2005, 12:05
I understand the requestor got his info, his solution, and his tires. But - here's another resource for understanding tires FYI. From the BF Goodrich website, http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/assets/pdf/all_terrain_ta_kd.pdf
(for all of us who love a few more arcane factoids - which seems to be most of us on TDP) this will get you to a really nifty spec chart for their All Terrain T/A's (just for example.) Of note - depending on the size - there are some "D" rated tires will hold more weight than "E" rated ones. But take a look - the chart tells you how wide and tall tires really are, what rims the different tires are expected to fit on, and weight ratings at inflation pressures - very handy.
Me? I run 235R85 16's Toyo M-55's (siped) on my '95 'Burb, which I commute with and tow a trail Jeep a few times a month. For commuting, I stay at 60PSI to keep the fillings in my mouth. The tires are a little pricey up front, but I got 90,000 miles out of the last set.