PDA

View Full Version : GCWR for 1985 GMC Sub C2500

mrgoodwrench15
10-24-2005, 16:10
Got a question for you guys...

My Dad gave me his old 1985 GMC Suburban C2500 earlier this year so that my wife and I could purchase & tow a larger boat. The sticker on the door for the GCWR is missing. Does anyone out there know where I could find it? The truck has only 115000 on it and my Dad was the original owner. It has the 6.2L, 4:10 rear and heavy duty tow package. He used to pull a 31' Airstream camper with it. I now pull a 28' Bayliner Cierra + Tandem Axle Trailer. I would appreciate any help going in the correct direction with it. On the way home for the season, I stopped by the local T/A and weighed everything. It is as follows:
Truck - Front Axle Weight 2500
Triuck - Rear Axle Weight 3920
Tandem Trailer Axle(Both) Weight 9180 ( No Gas (100 Gal) and no Water (30 Gal)
Truck, Trailer and Boat Total 15600

I know that the hitch is a Class 4, rated for 9600 Lb load, ball is a 10K and I ordered the trailer with Hydralic brakes installed on both axles (only 1 axle brake is standard)
The truck seems to do OK with everything. We only tow 3.5 miles each way to the river during boating season and make a 25 mile run home at the start/finish of the season. For a 20 yr old truck, I am very happy with it.
Again, to those in the know, could you point me in the right direction for the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight? Thanks

John

DennisG01
10-26-2005, 03:10
Hi,

Can't help you with exact numbers, but from my experience:

6,420#'s sounds light for your truck since you have to subtract out the tongue weight being put on your hitch (unless you disconnected truck/trailer to do the weighing - but then you'll have to add that tongue weight back in to the weight of the boat). Tongue weight for a boat should be approximately 7% of total weight if the trailer is set up properly.

My guess is that you are overloaded. However, you're not going that far - if you're happy and the truck doesn't seem to be lugging, then don't worry. Besides, I've seen people do a lot worse!

mrgoodwrench15
10-26-2005, 19:16
Dennis,

Thanks for the response. Here is some of the info as I weighed in at the T/A.

Item Weight
Truck w/ Tongue Weight 6460
Truck w/out Tongue Wt. 5960
Tongue Weight of Boat on Truck 500
Trailer w/ Boat Weight 9620

Loaded as Follows: Weighed w/out Truck
Tongue Weight 560
Tandem Axle Weights 9060

Truck, Trailer and Boat 15600
Weighed as Follows:
Front Axle Weight 2500
Rear Axle Weight 3920
Trailer Tandem Axle Weight 9180

Like I stated earlier, the truck has a Tow rating of 9600 Lbs. As weighed without fuel(800 Lbs) and Water (240 Lbs) I am at 9600. I only have water and fuel when we are in-season. I made sure we were as light as possible. I am hoping that someone can point me in the direction of the total combined weight for the Suburban and Noat/Trailer.

Thanks again..

John

DennisG01
10-27-2005, 03:33
Wow! What a difference between your 1985 Sub and my 1998. Mine weighs 7,010lbs! (That's with 3/4 tank and minimal gear in truck).

By the way, try this: http://media.gm.com

I don't know how far back (in years) that they have information, but there is a phone number somewhere that you could call and talk to a live person. It was about 2 years ago, but I called about some things for my Sub. Good luck!