PDA

View Full Version : Hard start and miss after prolonged storage

oneton
08-13-2005, 06:30
Well here I am again. My 02 is in the shop for a FPR and needed the 94 to tool around in. I've only put on around 1000 miles on the truck since buying the 02. Everytime I've needed it she's fired right up and ran great. This time, however, it was different. She fired up perfectly and I drove it up to the front of the house. After loading her up I went to start it up again she fired up and then died. It was a struggle to get it running again but she finally started. So I ran down and picked up a new air/fuel filters and installed them but it's still acting the same way. It'll start fine and then stall after about 30 sec. Then the fight is on to get it started again. After two or three major rounds of cranking she'll fire up and will run rough for a minute, then level out and idle fine. Going down the road I feel like I don't have the power to get out of my own way. Boost and pyro gages are reading normal. Any thoughts?

Thanks
David

Hubert
08-14-2005, 07:01
I am no expert but first thought is contaminated fuel. How did the fuel filter & bowl look?

Do you run any additives? Diesel lasts a long long time but only if it protected. If you leave it sitting a long time top off tank and add an appropriate additive (biocide etc maybe). Topping off tank protects the tank from corrosion and condensation build up ie moisture and possibility of bacteria growth.

I have heard once someones's 6.5 did not tolerate long storage (inactivity). The diesel fuel lubes and protects the IP injectors etc. I guess its the tight tolerances and such maybe more so in automotive diesels. I don't know how true that is?????

My old '72 Ford 3000 tractor runs ok after sitting a long time (with little to no protection from the elements) but thats apples to oranges to my 6.5.

Anyone have good inactivity (storage) advice for the 6.5.

Hubert
08-14-2005, 07:14
2nd thought a little air gets in the system as long inactivity allows pressure to bleed off of everwhere. Then it has to purge it. Don't know how to prevent that without making sure all rubber fuel line is not dry rotted or hardened exceessively???? Easier said than done on a older truck that sits for long periods.

oneton
08-14-2005, 14:34
Hubert, thanks for the reply. Cowracer suggested to take a look at the lift pump. I replaced it last night and all is well. After I sat and thought about it, it made perfect sense with the symptoms that I had.

To answers your questions, the fuel looked great. No floaters, water or rust in the filter housing. I do try to get out and start the truck every once and a while just to keep things lubed up. The wife drives it when she need to haul something but other than that the truck just sits.

Thanks
David